Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Bchen
Regular Visitor

Executive Metrics Reporting Dashboard

Hello – amateur Power BI user here. Looking to develop a daily/weekly/monthly dashboard that details performance across various departments that looks like the below. Right now I have all these different dashboards per department that are great but want to bubble it up to show everything in 1 simple table for easy consumption.

Week 1

Week 2

Department 1

Metric A

Metric B

Department 2

Metric C

Metric d

Now, I know to be able to show this simply in 1 table, the data needs to be structured as 4 columns:

Department

Metric

Date

Value

D1

Metric A

1/1/2023

D1

Metric B

1/2/2023

D2

Metric C

1/1/2023

D2

Metric D

1/2/2023

The challenge I’m facing right now is, the data for departments are recorded in numerous Excel files / tables. Is there a way to join those all together such that I can create a table like the above that will be updated as additional data/metrics are brought into the model?

Department 1 Data

Date

Metric A

Metric B

1/1/2023

1/1/2023

1/2/2023

1/2/2023

Department 2 Data and onward are structured similarly.

Appreciate all the help here! 

2 REPLIES 2
v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Bchen 

You can put the files to a folder, then combine folder in power query, you can refer to the following link.

Combine Excel Files with Power BI / Power Query — The Power User

How to Combine Files From a Folder with Excel Power Query - Xelplus - Leila Gharani

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

KEAlexander
Helper I
Helper I

Yes, your table can update as the underlying data changes. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-excel-workbook-files  " If you use the OneDrive for Business or SharePoint options, Power BI creates a connection to the file. As you make changes to the file in SharePoint or OneDrive, Power BI automatically syncs those changes about once an hour."  

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.