Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

swaroopkumarmg
Helper II
Helper II

Exasol connection with multiple tenants

Hi there,

need help with connecting exasol DB to Power bi.

what I have is an Exasol DB with multiple Tenants

Connecting String: same for all tenants

Tenants - more than 3 

Tenant 1 : User id = Tenant1ID, pass: Tenant1pass

Tanant 2: user id = Tenant2ID, pass: tenant2pass

what do I want?

I want to create different Power BI files for each tenants. 

Ex: Teant1 - Tenant1.pbix, tenant 2 - tenatn2.pbix

Problem:

I was able to create tenant1.pbix with tenant1 credentials, the Data source settings we saved under both - Data sources in current file and global permissions,

I then tried to create tenant2.pbix with tenant2 credentials, and by default, it takes tenant1 credentials, so I went into Data Source setting and removed the Exasol entry under Global permissions, thinking that the tenant1.pbix would retain the credentials as it's 'under data source in current file'. and then made a new connection with Tenant 2 credentials. i was able to connect and retrieve data. 

now if I go back to tenant1.pbix it's not connected any more and in the Exasol entry under Datasources in current file for Tenant1.pbix file the credentials are of Tenant2. 

is there a way to get this thing going? please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @swaroopkumarmg 

All data source credentials used in Power BI Desktop are encrypted and stored in a specific folder in your computer rather than in the pbix files. This is for security concern. That's why we need to reenter the credentials if we copy a pbix file and open it on a new computer. 

When you have the same connection string for multiple tenants in an Exasol DB, it treats the connection string as one single data source. It stores only one credentials for it on your computer. If you edit it in a new pbix file, it will override its credentials with the new one instead of saving both. That's why you found that in Tenant1.pbix file the credentials are of Tenant2.

To deal with that, you'd better prepare different connection strings for different tenants to make Power BI Desktop not take them as the same data source. I have no experience in Exasol so I'm not sure if this is possible. You may seek help about this from Exasol's Community Home - Exasol

Hope this helps. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @swaroopkumarmg 

All data source credentials used in Power BI Desktop are encrypted and stored in a specific folder in your computer rather than in the pbix files. This is for security concern. That's why we need to reenter the credentials if we copy a pbix file and open it on a new computer. 

When you have the same connection string for multiple tenants in an Exasol DB, it treats the connection string as one single data source. It stores only one credentials for it on your computer. If you edit it in a new pbix file, it will override its credentials with the new one instead of saving both. That's why you found that in Tenant1.pbix file the credentials are of Tenant2.

To deal with that, you'd better prepare different connection strings for different tenants to make Power BI Desktop not take them as the same data source. I have no experience in Exasol so I'm not sure if this is possible. You may seek help about this from Exasol's Community Home - Exasol

Hope this helps. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.