Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

sjensen
Helper I
Helper I

Error in refreshing and updating link using Excel data file to PowerBI

Every once in a while for whatever reason the link to my excel file needs to be manually refreshed by going to Edit Queries, then Data Source Settings. I then go to change source and re-upload the file. Usaually that works great. But this time nothing happens. Nothing gets updated. I have also tried deleting the data but it wont delete. There seems to be some error that I cannot fix. 

When I open the Data Source Settings it shows the data source but has a -wi...iting within the link. Makes me wonder if something is stuck on loading. I have turned off my computer and back on again. I have exited out of PowerBI and gotten back in again but those options do not help. 

Any recommendaions on how I can get this fixed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sjensen

Is this excel file stored on your local or online?

you could create a new pbix file, use option "Get data"-"excel", select a excel file, check if this excel file can be imported to Power BI?

If this doesn't help, please share the screenshot of your "change dataset" setting.

Mine is as below

2.png

Have you alreadly created any visuals using the fileds from previous excel file data?

Are the structure of data from privous excel file and this excel file same?

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sjensen

Is this excel file stored on your local or online?

you could create a new pbix file, use option "Get data"-"excel", select a excel file, check if this excel file can be imported to Power BI?

If this doesn't help, please share the screenshot of your "change dataset" setting.

Mine is as below

2.png

Have you alreadly created any visuals using the fileds from previous excel file data?

Are the structure of data from privous excel file and this excel file same?

Best Regards

Maggie

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.