Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Encrypt .PBIX file

Hi All,

I have imported data from HIVE tables and created Report in PBI Desktop. 

I wanted to Encrypt my PBIX file, before i share with other stake holders,because .PBIX file has the Cluster credentials and imported data. 

Is there a way to Encrypt / Authenticate / Password Protect on .PBIX file

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

@Anonymous Is there a particular reason that you don't want to show them the reports in the Power BI Service? You wouldn't have the issue of them being able to access elements of your datasource, or model if you just shared a dashboard pointing to your reports...

This would be the method you would be sharing in the future wouldn't it?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Eno197  My client is Financial organization , they need the file to be encrypted. 

The idea is to share the file with the Internal Users,so that they can open the PBIX file in their secure environment and publish through Desktop.

During the process of sharing the PBIX file , they need to put some security on PBIX file

I was trying to automate deployment process , where the PBIX file get published through powershell Script, but this is not working for me. Hence we thought if we can Encrypt the PBIX file and then share internally. Any suggestion Thanks

@Anonymous

Is zipping the file with a strong password acceptable? Or any other 3rd party file encrytion tool.

@Anonymous Sorry, I don't have any suggestions. From my understanding the Desktop is designed as the development tool, not the consumption tool. (Thus, why it's free).

In deployments I've done for financial institutions we've always leveraged Tabular models with live connection to handle these security concerns. I believe internal deployments are going to be shared via SQL 2016 SSRS, but currently it only accepts PBIX files to be loaded.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.