Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

BUC
Regular Visitor

Embedding an Excel Spreadsheet in Power BI

I've seen a few posts on this but they're a few years old and I'm ambitiously hoping something may have changed.

I've been tasked with converting a mammoth Excel spreadsheet to work in Power BI using our semantic models and for all bar one of the tabs it works perfectly.  However there is one sheet that just isn't going to work because it requires cross-calculation between two enormous semantic models and the sheet itself isn't laid out in an database friendly format (so new headings part way down the spreadsheet, a *lot* of cell-specific references etc).  

Given it's just one sheet I think in the immediate I'd like to just embed this page into the report and manually update it until the semantic models are sorted out (we're a big company and this will take a while).  Is there a tool that can do this?  I've tried a few HTML visualiser plugins but the free ones don't seem to work and the good ones require a subscription.  I literally just need to embed the sheet as-is (it's too big to screen grab).

Anyone know if this is possible? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BUC 

Embedding Excel worksheets directly into Power BI as interactive elements is not currently supported, but you can consider integrating Excel data into Power BI using several methods:

The most straightforward method is to import Excel workbooks into Power BI Desktop. but may not meet your needs in terms of layout.

Import Excel workbooks into Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If the main goal is to maintain the Excel interface while using Power BI's capabilities for other parts of your data, consider using Power BI tiles in Excel.

Some of these services may require a subscription, but they can provide the functionality you need.

Create Excel workbooks with refreshable Power BI data - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Another solution is to host the Excel file on OneDrive or SharePoint Online and use the Power BI "Web" Content Pack to display the Excel file in the Power BI dashboard.

This will not embed the worksheet directly, but will provide a quick access link in the report.

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BUC 

Embedding Excel worksheets directly into Power BI as interactive elements is not currently supported, but you can consider integrating Excel data into Power BI using several methods:

The most straightforward method is to import Excel workbooks into Power BI Desktop. but may not meet your needs in terms of layout.

Import Excel workbooks into Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If the main goal is to maintain the Excel interface while using Power BI's capabilities for other parts of your data, consider using Power BI tiles in Excel.

Some of these services may require a subscription, but they can provide the functionality you need.

Create Excel workbooks with refreshable Power BI data - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Another solution is to host the Excel file on OneDrive or SharePoint Online and use the Power BI "Web" Content Pack to display the Excel file in the Power BI dashboard.

This will not embed the worksheet directly, but will provide a quick access link in the report.

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.