Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Effective Forecast and Excess calculation

Hi,
Here's the sample data with calculations done in excel (https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zfdyua1wv75ar6/Sample%20Data.xlsx?dl=0). I'm not exactly sure how to do the same calculations in Power BI.

Basically for each stock_month/country/material/batch combination, I need to determine if it's in excess or not. I have a 12-month range forecast data coming in for each stock_month/country/material combination.

A stock unit is deemed as excess when it cannot be used before it's expiry date and the quantity available is more than the forecast quantity. 

The way I did it in excel: 

1) I sorted the data table by stock_month, material, and expiry date

2) For each stock_month/country/material/batch combination, I summed all the forecast quantity (from forecast data table) with 'month' date field before the expiry date listed for that line

3a) Effective Forecast for the first stock_month/country/material/batch combination is just the forecast quantity
3b) Effective Forecast for everything else: forecast quantity for that line - SUM(all quantites before that one for the same stock_month/country/material) + SUM (all excess quantities before that one for the same stock_month/country/material) ---> If this value is below 0, then list 0, otherwise it's the value

4) Excess calculation = Quantity - Effective forecast

How can I do this in Power BI? (In either query editor or dax)

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

You can try Power Query to achieve your goal. Dax may be not suitable, due to you need to judge the upward and downward values in the calculation. 

I think you may refer to blogs as below to get accumulate of your quantities and judge the upward and downward values in Power Query.

For reference:

List accumulate in groups

DAX calculated column to get running sum which resets on particular conditions

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.