Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

asifrasool
Helper I
Helper I

Dynamically changing url to get the data based on relevant parameter

Hi Everyone, I have a data source system from where I have to fetch the data into powerbi. I have to connect via 'Web' connector in powerbi to make 2 calls to get the data. In otherwords its a rest api call.

1) First call will fetch me the data as shown in the SS below. This call is working fine. The following numbers are called PZN.

asifrasool_0-1667837940171.png

2) The second call will bring me the data related to this number, the general url will be like 

asifrasool_1-1667838065717.png

I added another parameter and made this url like this, (second parameter is essential for this api call to run)

asifrasool_2-1667838134696.png

here I want powerbi to read the pzn number from 1 api call (show in number 1) and pick the first number and put it in front of pzn=XXXXXXXXXXX (e.g. drug?catalogShort=MMI&pzn=14295542) I want to do it like this for all of the PZN returned in first call.

Is there any possibility I can do this work in PowerBI? If yes then any leads would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Kind Regards,

Asif

3 REPLIES 3
johncolley
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @asifrasool ,

You can create a new column using Concatenate to create a url string. I.e

URL = Concatenate("e.g. drug?catalogShort=MMI&pzn=",'PZN Column')

This will generate a url for each PZN number in your table.

If this answer solves your problem please mark it as a solution!

@johncolley Thank you so much for the response,
Actually the thing is that I have to make rest api calls, with first call I'll get the list of PZN numbers. Then I have to make api calls related to each PZN number. like this,

first call for 

drug?catalogShort=MMI&pzn=1

second call for

drug?catalogShort=MMI&pzn=2

third call for

drug?catalogShort=MMI&pzn=3

and so on untill last PZN.

Hi @asifrasool , Once you get your list of numbers you may be able to parameterise it for the rest of the calls, more detail here: https://www.phdata.io/blog/how-to-parameterize-data-sources-power-bi/ 

There also may be some useful information in these threads:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/RestApi-with-Session-Authentication/td-p/624578

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2016/08/16/using-the-relativepath-and-query-options-with-web-contents-i... 

My knowledge in this area is fairly limited so hopefully these help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.