Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamically change in currency symbol after currency selection in slicer

Hi, 

I currently have a report where I convert from multiple currencies back to our base and other currencies. 

So user in europe can look at the report in Euro, U.S. in $, U.K. in £ and so on so forth.

This works fine and I am able with dax to output the correct conversion amount. 

However I need the charts to oupt the values with their corresponding currency symbols. 

I was considering using DAX FORMAT method but this outputs the value as a string and I end up with a count of these string values rather than a sum. 

I can obviously set the column to a specific currency using the modelling section in Desktop but that is static. I needs to change as the user switches the currency with on slicers on the page.

Thanks in Advance,

Mayur Kanawade

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi,

this is not working in my case .. The client wants to see badget(local+international)on  dasboard with a switch option between INR and Dollar as per  change  in value of dollar on daily basis.p.

Thanks

monty187
Frequent Visitor

Hi guys

I have been working on some powerbi reports where the user wants the number format to be displayed on charts depending on the currency selected. When using the method above, the number is converted to text and therefore doesnt work on charts.

Is there a way to switch currency with a slicer, and use the output measures on charts (displaying the currency formatted number on the chart)

Thanks

Michael

I am also facing the same issue, wanted to know if you have got a workaround for this.

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

First, you should know that calculated column and calculate table can't be affected by any slicer. you could create a measure
Notice:
1. Calculation column/table not support dynamic changed based on filter or slicer.
2. Measure can be affected by filter/slicer, so you can use it to get dynamic summary result.
here is reference:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Different-between-calculated-column-and-measure-Using-SUM/t...
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/calculated-columns-and-measures-in-dax/

Second, you could try this way as below:

Step1:

Add a currency symbol table for slicer.

2.JPG

Step2:

For the simple example, this is my basic measure for sum value

3.JPG

TOTALAmount = CALCULATE(SUM(Data[Amount] ))

Step3:

Use SELECTEDVALUE Function and FORMAT Function to add a dynamically change currency symbol measure

Measure = SWITCH(TRUE(),
SELECTEDVALUE('currency'[Type])="Euro", FORMAT([TOTALAmount],"€#,##0"),
SELECTEDVALUE('currency'[Type])="U.S.", FORMAT([TOTALAmount],"$#,##0"),
SELECTEDVALUE('currency'[Type])="U.K.", FORMAT([TOTALAmount],"£#,##0"),
[TOTALAmount])

Result:

4.JPG5.JPG

and here is a sample pbix file, please try it.

Best Regards,
Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous you are on right path, you need to sum first and then use DAX Format to add currency symbol and then it will work.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.