Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MarioVW
Advocate I
Advocate I

Dynamic values in text box

Recently (I believe May 2021 version) I noticed that now any text box visual in Power BI Desktop gives me the option to add dynamic values (not a Smart Narrative visual, but a simple text box). However, any time I try to use it I get the message: "Adding dynamic values isn't supported in this application." 

Can anyone provide guidance on why I might not able to use this new feature, and what would I need to change/adjust in order to be able to use it?

MarioVW_0-1623224859084.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarioVW
Advocate I
Advocate I

I just found the cause of the issue, I'm posting it for anyone else reading this thread.

Adding dynamic values on Smart Narratives visuals (and in text boxes) uses the Q&A feature under the hood. So I tried to add a Q&A visual and I got an error message saying that Q&A was not supported for this report.

MarioVW_0-1625869098535.jpeg

The problem was that the language was configured as Spanish, even though I had the Spanish language support for Q&A preview feature turned off (I might have turned it on sometime in the past but then turned it off again, but apparently the model language was stuck as Spanish). Once I changed the model language back to English everything started working smoothly.

MarioVW_1-1625869125206.jpeg

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
ziga328

The method that worked for me was to create a blank "Q&A" visual, and hit the "Turn on Q&A" button that appears inside it. After that I was able to add dynamic values to my text box as normal.

ziga328_1-1689059120266.png

ziga328_2-1689059138495.png

MarioVW
Advocate I
Advocate I

I just found the cause of the issue, I'm posting it for anyone else reading this thread.

Adding dynamic values on Smart Narratives visuals (and in text boxes) uses the Q&A feature under the hood. So I tried to add a Q&A visual and I got an error message saying that Q&A was not supported for this report.

MarioVW_0-1625869098535.jpeg

The problem was that the language was configured as Spanish, even though I had the Spanish language support for Q&A preview feature turned off (I might have turned it on sometime in the past but then turned it off again, but apparently the model language was stuck as Spanish). Once I changed the model language back to English everything started working smoothly.

MarioVW_1-1625869125206.jpeg

This worked for me as well. Even though Spanish was not selected on mine, I clicked on English and then "OK" and then it started working again. Thanks for figuring this out @MarioVW!

FYI, what also worked for me was when I got rid of all direct query tables. Previously when I had only imported tables, this function worked fine. When I added a direct query table, it must have changed something to the language setting and I got the previously discussed error. Then I deleted those tables, and it worked again. But then I found @MarioVW's solution and it fixes it and allows you to keep the direct query tables.

RMB
Resolver II
Resolver II

Do you have RLS or OLS setup on that data set? I've found that I will get that error on projects with OLS setup. Not sure if that's by design or not.

MarioVW
Advocate I
Advocate I

Yeah, I haven't seen the feature documented anywhere, but still I see it when using Power BI Desktop, but for some reason I'm unable to use it. I understand and have used the workaround suggested by @v-deddai1-msft but my question is regarding this (yet) undocumented new feature.

Hi @MarioVW ,

Based on my test, we can add measure to the text box in the latest version from microsoft store(It could be more latest than you can download from the download link):

Capture16.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Btw, I can't figure out how can I put the measure in this field.  I realized that it doesn't appears to me the notify:
"Ask a question about your data"

bperona_0-1706621527672.png

So, It not showing any measure when I start to looking for someone
Could anyone help me ?

worked for to display conditional text in a simple text box. 

Created a measure based on latest date to display relevant text and it worked. Thanks. 

I am using a column there. The column contains text which gets displayed in the textbox, so works great. The only problem is I get the whole text underlined in blue colour and I can't find a way to make it disappear.

I'm on the latest Microsoft Store version (June 2021, version 2.94.921.0 64-bit) and I'm still seeing the same behavior as in my original post. In addition, I'm seeing the exact same behavior when using the Smart Narrative visual instead of a plain text box.

Is anyone else seeing the message "Adding dynamic values isn't supported in this application" when trying to add dynamic values using the Smart Narratives visual (or a simple tex box)?

I am too, looking at the language settings but there should be no reason why my language would be Spanish.

Interestingly my ability to turn on Q&A is greyed out @v-deddai1-msft @MarioVW 

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MarioVW ,

I didn't find this new preview feature in https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-may-2021-feature-summary/

As a workaround, you can use conditional formatting for title. For more details, please refer to https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/dynamic-text-box-using-filtered-date/m-p/1748248

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@MarioVW , I am able to use the same in the May 2021, release.  I do not see any preview option for that.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.