Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rywags11

Dynamic goal line in visualization

I am trying to create visualizations for our shipping department which show the summed value of our shipments each month or each week over any given timeline, but want to have the annual plan for each month set as the goal line. I cant use Analyzer because the plan (goal) changes from month to month. For example, the plan in January 2018 is something like 10,474,210.... the plan for February 2018 is something like 11,500,250.... the plan for March 2018 is something like 8,750,000, etc. I'm not very familiar with creating tables on my own to make a relationship to the database table i'm getting the data from, so i'm not sure how to make the goal line dynamic like that. 

For example, the plan for each month would look something like this.... how could I plot that out on a visualization underneath the actual ship values? 

Yr/Mo         Plan (example)

2018-01      $5,559,680

2018-02      $4,272,100

2018-03      $5,487,363

2018-04      $6,391,200

2018-05      $4,852,141

2018-06      $5,897,287

Etc.... Etc

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I would use a Line and clustered column chart visualization with your goals as the line or column and the actuals as the other.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Can you recommend an alternate solution? Or can you help me understand how to connect a new table with the static numbers to the ODBC connected table? How would I establish a relationship? Would I have to build a calculated field in the connected table to calculate the month of the dated field and then link those?

Thanks for the reply! What I’m stuck with is that my actuals table is linked to an OBDC that updates itself, and I don’t know how to connect a table I created with the plan in it, and I don’t know how to create a visual that uses more than one unrelated table. Kind of like in excel how I could reference a completely separate set of info on the same chart by using a secondary axis? Can you help me with how I could do that?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.