Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

heatherkw
Helper I
Helper I

Dynamic Values in Text Box Aren't Working for Parameter Values in Custom Tooltip

I'm pretty sure this is fairly simple and I'm just missing one piece of the puzzle. I have been asked to move away from the usual tooltip to make custom tooltips that put the information into a sentence structure. Right now, I have one bar graph that has a parameter where users can select various client demographics.

I have a textbox on a tooltip page that I am using dynamic values with to create the sentence. I need the sentence to read like this: "For clients with a Race of Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, the average was XX" when the user hovers over the bar for Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander and then if they hover over the bar for Black or African American, the underlined portion changes to that. Then, if they select a different demographic such as Gender, it would change to say, "For clients with a Gender of Female, the average was XX" when users hover over the bar for Female. I can get the text to change for the field itself, so Gender/Race, etc., but can't get the actual value to display based on which bar they hover over in the graph. I could have sworn that I figured something out like this before, but for the life of me I can't seem to recreate it and have a quick deadline.  

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @heatherkw,

AFAIK, the mouse hover event is specific filter that can't be traced by filter functions. It can be responded when you use formula with correspond filter on the report tooltip page.

What happens if you use the measure formula on the card visual in the report tooltip page? Did this dynamic changes in tooltip when you hover the mouse?

If that is the case, it means this feat not compatibility with text box dynamic values features. You can submit an idea for this requirement.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi there, I'm not sure what the measure formula should be. I can't seem to figure out any way to return the value that I want in the text box itself so the hover feature therefore doesn't work. 

heatherkw
Helper I
Helper I

That doesn't take into account the dynamic text needed for the Parameter, that's the big issue. If they select Race, then it needs to say a Race of XX, then if they change to Gender, the text needs to say a Gender of XX. I can get the Parameter name to change, so Race, Gender, etc., but the value chosen is the issue. 

vicky_
Super User
Super User

If you have a measure with text for the tooltip, you can try something like:

TooltipText = "For clients with a Race of " &  SELECTEDVALUE([Race]) & ", the average was " & [Measure]

+ make sure that the keep filters is on for the tooltip.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabcon_Europe_Social_Bogo

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.