Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

boddydan
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic M Parameter working in query editor but not with slicer

Hi everyone,

I've set up a (text) M parameter which changes one of my queries depending on the parameter. When I look in the query editor and play about with my parameter it works perfectly. I can change my parameter and observe the correct output.

My problem now is with attempting to connect this parameter to a slicer. I already have a slicer set up with several different locations on a table that I have been using in the past. When trying to bind the location column of my slicer table to my parameter, all of my visuals appear as errors 'The M parameter '<myparametername>' not defined in model or M parameter type is not valid.'

Does anybody have any advice on how to fix this? Many thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @boddydan 

Please refer to the considerations and limitations of M parameter.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-dynamic-m-query-parameters#considerat...

Ailsamsft_0-1633487960725.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

There are lots of limitations mentioned in the video.  Can you confirm that your direct query data source is suitable?

Dynamic M query parameters in Power BI Desktop (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors