Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Bhavana_k
Helper I
Helper I

Dynamic Dimension in Power BI

Hi,

I have a one common chart where i'll be showing sales but this sales value should be displayed as per selected dimension
my dimensions are : project or product.

This is what I have done:
Step1: I created one table in power bi named it as a dimension. And created 2 columns Dimension and Index.
Capture.PNG

Step2: Created calculated measure like below

Show Measure =
IF(ISCROSSFILTERED('Dimension'[Dimension]),
SWITCH(TRUE(),
VALUES('Dimension'[Dimension])="Project",MAX(Table1[PROJECTNAME]),
VALUES('Dimension'[Dimension])="product",MAX(Table1[PRODUCT]),
BLANK()),BLANK())

Step3 : Created slicer On Dimension column from Dimension Table.

Now what I want to do, when i select Project it should show me list of all projects with sales value and when I select Product then it should show me changed sales value for all products.

But in above calculated measure to get that column name I have to wrap it around some aggregation function. As you can see I am using MAX function to wrap my Text column which doesn't make any sense. But it shows only first product name or project name, neither list of all projects nor list of all products.

How do I show that? How do i make this flip flop work?

Thank you,
Bhavana

3 REPLIES 3
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Bhavana_k ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to help others having the similar issue and close the case. If not, let me know and I'll try to help you further.

Best regards

Amy

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Bhavana_k ,

Based on my test, it is not supported to change the column names based on the filter selection dynamically in Power BI currently. You can post your new idea here https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas , to improve the Power BI.

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

To work around the issue, you can create a calculated table like DAX below, then enter into Query Editor, click on the column Project and Product at the same time, right click to choose the "Unpivot columns", don't forget to click the "Close & Apply" button.

Then create relationships between this new intermediate table and other two tables on Project field and Product field, After that, you can let the result Attribute column as source of slicer visual.

New table= CROSSJOIN(SELECTCOLUMNS('Project Table', "Project ", 'Project Table'[Project]),SELECTCOLUMNS('Product Table', "Product ", 'Product Table'[Product]))

4.png

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Amy,

Thank you for getting back.

But my data is huge and by doing this pivot thing it will increase my no. of rows. Which is not a very good scenario for my case. 
Surely I'll keep this in mind.

Thank you,

Bhavana

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors