Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

doubleclick
Helper II
Helper II

Downloaded PBI report doesn't include linked datamodel

I have a report created on teh workspace, let's call it 'Report A', that's linked to another dataset also on the workspace for it's data. 

The problem is that when i downloaded Report A it doesn't bring in the associated tables from the linked dataset, the entire datamodel is blank so all the visuals are broken.

Online it works fine but it's the downloaded version that's causing me issues. Anyone have any ideas what could be happening?

I used to be able to download Report A, add an image and then reupload to the workspace completely fine. 

pbi.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @doubleclick ,

Hope all is going well.

Firstly, it is important to understand that when you download a .pbix file that is connected to a dataset in the Power BI service , the downloaded report does not include the dataset itself.

This behavior is by design to ensure that the dataset, which could be large or contain sensitive information, is managed and stored securely within the service.

Another possible cause of other problems is:

Say you are working in Power BI Desktop without an internet connection and you open a report with an AppSource Power BI visual. If you had not previously saved the report while Power BI Desktop was online, the visual will not render.

For solutions to this problem, please refer to the "Working offline" section of the link below for details.

Download a report from the Power BI service to Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If you need to work with the data model directly in Power BI Desktop, you might consider downloading the dataset as a .pbix file. Note that this approach is suitable for datasets that you own or have been given explicit permissions to download.

Make sure that the dataset owner has not revoked your direct access to the dataset. If the dataset is location or permissions have changed, it could affect your ability to connect to it from the downloaded report.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

View solution in original post

Thanks Yang, this was really helpful. After some testing i fixed the the issue. 

All i had to do was reconnect the downloaded datamodel to the online dataset, which was under the heading 'Get Data' -> PowerBi Semantic Models. 

Once i reconnected the model was working again 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @doubleclick ,

Hope all is going well.

Firstly, it is important to understand that when you download a .pbix file that is connected to a dataset in the Power BI service , the downloaded report does not include the dataset itself.

This behavior is by design to ensure that the dataset, which could be large or contain sensitive information, is managed and stored securely within the service.

Another possible cause of other problems is:

Say you are working in Power BI Desktop without an internet connection and you open a report with an AppSource Power BI visual. If you had not previously saved the report while Power BI Desktop was online, the visual will not render.

For solutions to this problem, please refer to the "Working offline" section of the link below for details.

Download a report from the Power BI service to Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If you need to work with the data model directly in Power BI Desktop, you might consider downloading the dataset as a .pbix file. Note that this approach is suitable for datasets that you own or have been given explicit permissions to download.

Make sure that the dataset owner has not revoked your direct access to the dataset. If the dataset is location or permissions have changed, it could affect your ability to connect to it from the downloaded report.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

Thanks Yang, this was really helpful. After some testing i fixed the the issue. 

All i had to do was reconnect the downloaded datamodel to the online dataset, which was under the heading 'Get Data' -> PowerBi Semantic Models. 

Once i reconnected the model was working again 

Helpful resources

Announcements
OCT PBI Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - October 2024

Check out the October 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Sept NL Carousel

Fabric Community Update - September 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.