Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kjenmal
Regular Visitor

Displaying time measure from a multidimensional SSAS cube in PowerBI

I have a requirement to visualise average handling time as a "Card" visualisation in PowerBI.  Visualising only seconds is not as useful as using it in a time format (HH:MM:SS) and so I want to convert my seconds to time. However, I am restricted to using only data from a multidimensional SSAS cube. From what I can tell, this limits my possibilities within PowerBI to create new measures or using DAX.

Therefore, I created a measure within SSAS using MDX that converts and aggregates my seconds into time. Great. If I connect my cube to Excel this shows beautifully:

TimeFromCubeInExcel.jpg

However, when I connect to the cube with PowerBI it does not show as nicely...

TimeFromCubeInPowerBI.jpg

Is displaying time measures from a multidimensional cube in PowerBI something that will be possible in the near future?

4 REPLIES 4
Gorda

I have the same issue. The time displayed correctly in Excel but Power BI shows format string instead of value. Did anyone solve the problem? Is there a workaround?

Anonymous
Not applicable

As you said, when you use a SSAS Cube, you are restricted. You cannot change nothing with your end-user app (xls or PBI).

So, check the time format on your columns on the SSAS Cube. Is it HH:MM:SS correctly? Cause PBI take the format which is on the cube.

PS : time format is a hell....

Agreed 🙂 I believe the format is ok in SSAS. Particuarly since it works fine when displayed in Excel.

Example MDX:

CREATE MEMBER CURRENTCUBE.[Measures].[ActualAverageHandlingTimeAccepted]

as iif ([Measures].[ActualTotalHandlingTimeAccepted] = 0

, null

, ([Measures].[ActualTotalHandlingTimeAccepted]/[Measures].[NoCallsAccepted])

),

FORMAT_STRING = "hh:mm:ss",

VISIBLE = 1,

ASSOCIATED_MEASURE_GROUP = 'CustomerContactAccepted';

Hi kjenmal,

Did you ever come right with this issue,I  also just came across it,My time format is correct on the Cube and it also shows perfect on Excel,Power BI just seems to be the issue.

Regards

Siya

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.