Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

j3n5k1

Difference between 2 columns

I have a matrix like the below where I have swapped the values to rows. What I would like is to create another column showing the difference between Current and Prior Year for all metrics. If I create them individually they go below the other metrics and I want to see this as a column like below. 

Is there a way of doing this?

Prior Year    Current Year    Difference  
Growth   
Cancels   
Retention %   
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @j3n5k1 ,

Please try:

First add a new column to the table:

vjianbolimsft_0-1675748489168.png

Then creaet a new table:

vjianbolimsft_1-1675748507425.png

Manage relationship:

vjianbolimsft_2-1675748591207.png

Apply the measure:

Sum of Cancles = 
var _a = FORMAT( CALCULATE(MAX('Dummy Data'[Year]),ALL('Dummy Data'[Year])),"General Number")
var _b = CALCULATE(SUM('Dummy Data'[Cancels]),FILTER('Table',[Year]=_a))
var _c = CALCULATE(MAX('Dummy Data'[Year]),ALL('Dummy Data'))
var _d = CALCULATE(SUM('Dummy Data'[Cancels]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Year]=FORMAT(_c,"General Number")))
var _e = CALCULATE(SUM('Dummy Data'[Cancels]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Year]=FORMAT(_c-1,"General Number")))
return IF(MAX('Table'[Year])="Difference",_d-_e,_b)

Sum of Growth = 
var _a = FORMAT( CALCULATE(MAX('Dummy Data'[Year]),ALL('Dummy Data'[Year])),"General Number")
var _b = CALCULATE(SUM('Dummy Data'[Growth]),FILTER('Table',[Year]=_a))
var _d = CALCULATE(SUM('Dummy Data'[Growth]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Year]=FORMAT(_c,"General Number")))
var _e = CALCULATE(SUM('Dummy Data'[Growth]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Year]=FORMAT(_c-1,"General Number")))

Sum of Transacted = 
var _b = CALCULATE(SUM('Dummy Data'[Transacted $]),FILTER('Table',[Year]=_a))
var _d = CALCULATE(SUM('Dummy Data'[Transacted $]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Year]=FORMAT(_c,"General Number")))
var _e = CALCULATE(SUM('Dummy Data'[Transacted $]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Year]=FORMAT(_c-1,"General Number")))

Retention % = 
DIVIDE([Sum of Cancles], [Sum of Transacted])

NCVI = [Sum of Growth]-[Sum of Cancles]

Final output:

vjianbolimsft_3-1675748614233.png

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @j3n5k1 ,

Please try:

First add a new column to the table:

vjianbolimsft_0-1675748489168.png

Then creaet a new table:

vjianbolimsft_1-1675748507425.png

Manage relationship:

vjianbolimsft_2-1675748591207.png

Apply the measure:

Sum of Cancles = 
var _b = CALCULATE(SUM('Dummy Data'[Cancels]),FILTER('Table',[Year]=_a))
var _d = CALCULATE(SUM('Dummy Data'[Cancels]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Year]=FORMAT(_c,"General Number")))
var _e = CALCULATE(SUM('Dummy Data'[Cancels]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Year]=FORMAT(_c-1,"General Number")))

Sum of Growth = 
var _b = CALCULATE(SUM('Dummy Data'[Growth]),FILTER('Table',[Year]=_a))
var _d = CALCULATE(SUM('Dummy Data'[Growth]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Year]=FORMAT(_c,"General Number")))
var _e = CALCULATE(SUM('Dummy Data'[Growth]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Year]=FORMAT(_c-1,"General Number")))

Sum of Transacted = 
var _b = CALCULATE(SUM('Dummy Data'[Transacted $]),FILTER('Table',[Year]=_a))
var _d = CALCULATE(SUM('Dummy Data'[Transacted $]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Year]=FORMAT(_c,"General Number")))
var _e = CALCULATE(SUM('Dummy Data'[Transacted $]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Year]=FORMAT(_c-1,"General Number")))

Retention % = 
DIVIDE([Sum of Cancles], [Sum of Transacted])

NCVI = [Sum of Growth]-[Sum of Cancles]

Final output:

vjianbolimsft_3-1675748614233.png

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @j3n5k1 ,

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or if you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your table and your problem or share me with your pbix file after removing sensitive data.

Refer to:

How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

I have measures (growth, cancels, retention % etc) which are all normally showing as columns (values) in a matrix on PBI with date etc as rows. 

For this particular view i have used the "switch values to rows" so my table looks as described.

If I was doing this in excel, I would now have my dates at the top, measures down the side - and a simple C-B to create a new column showing the difference for each of those values for each of those date ranges. I just don't know if that is possible? I can't use the source file as it is all confidential, but I have created a simple file to show what I mean - Dummy Report 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

the "Prior Year" column is redundant.  Remove that.  For "Difference" add a standard YoY or YoY% measure.  (You can create these via quick measures too)

This won't solve my issue - I have multiple metrics as rows and a YoY difference as you described will only impact one of them, plus this will then show as another metric (so go on the rows in how i have created the view), not as a new column.

I need the matrix to look as described in my question so the PY field is not redundant, it is necessary

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.