Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

joglidden
Advocate III
Advocate III

Dial Gauges are completely gone on all reports and in service

I opened my dashboards today in the service, and all dial gauges were completely gone.

I went into the desktop files, and they would not render there either. There is a ghost "placeholder" where the gauges once were. I updated the visual with the latest DialGauge update v. 1.01, and the visual would not appear in my 'Visualizations' pane. When I update the visual, I get a message that it was successfully updated. 

Has anyone seen this issue? Is it my PBI desktop files, or is something up with the service?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello Folks,

Just got confirmation from the Microsoft BI team for fixing this issue.

No need to download latest version or any other changes in your current PBIX,you need to just refresh the browser and it all works fine as before.

Thanks again for all your patience and cooperation.

Regards,

Prakash Kavar

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
joglidden
Advocate III
Advocate III

Thanks to Microsoft development team for getting on this and getting it resolved w/in 48 hours. Let's talk about a few lessons learned now...

1. When you implement a major update (or any update), go see what the effect is on a service dashboard with all of the most popular visuals on it. These dashboards are are the end product that our executive clients are looking at, and they really don't care why or how they are working. Actually, they don't even care if it's an MS product or an IBM product. They only care about one thing, and when it isn't working, it's a crisis for us developers. Please keep this in mind.

2. I think now you (Microsoft) get a sense of how common and popular these dial gauges are. Your native dial gauge is a shortcoming, and with all due respect to CloudFronts Technologies, LLP, the developer of the DialGauge 1.01, you have outsourced a common and popular visual to a third party. This adds complexity and risk to your platform. I wonder if you would consider fixing your own dialgauge in a way that is more useful to the community. Most of us don't have time to dive in to the DialGauge code and fix it. Not sure what the solution is here. Something to think about.

"Dashboards" have "dials". 

pkavar
Frequent Visitor

Yes @tsestini,

you can rely on this visual as it giving so many measures in single visual.I have also critical Clients depends on this visual.

@bradwest414 ,yes it is strange for all of us and i believe there is some graphical display related stuff they fixed.

Thanks again @bpeters @adamhubble for validating it correctly.

Regards,

Prakash

adamhubble
Helper I
Helper I

I'm not sure why, but when I was opening existing pbix files that contained the visual, it was still not working. After downloading the desktop app again, repairing the installation (thinking that there may have been some small change to the app to include whatever change was made to the service), and restarting my computer, things now display correctly in those existing pbix.

Thanks for updating us on things Prakash.

Cheers,
Adam
bpeters
Advocate I
Advocate I

Great collaborative work on getting this fixed so swiftly. Had to switch back to standard gauge for my reports today, but kept backups which I have been able to revert to.

bradwest414
Frequent Visitor

How strange, I did no updates to any components or software, and yet when I came into work this morning, everything was working again.  There must be some kind of internet configuration they're able to push to the desktop software or plugin?

adamhubble
Helper I
Helper I

I had just been working on a demo dashboard with some alternatives to the DialGauge, and after published I happened to look at my live dashboard and saw that it was working again in the service. Fingers crossed that the updated version in the gallery works with desktop.
Cheers,
Adam

Hello Folks,

Just got confirmation from the Microsoft BI team for fixing this issue.

No need to download latest version or any other changes in your current PBIX,you need to just refresh the browser and it all works fine as before.

Thanks again for all your patience and cooperation.

Regards,

Prakash Kavar

Thanks Prakash. I can able to view the visual.

Glad to hear that, Prakash!

Did they provide any insight as to what happened? It would be assuring to know that we can rely on this visual as it is essential to our dashboards.

Thanks again,

Thiago Sestini.

pkavar
Frequent Visitor

Hello All,

We created the DialGauge  visual in PowerBi and since last 15-20 days it won't appear on report level.

I also recevied so many mails from the users who are using this visuals.

This issue is already rasied to Microsoft senior Bi team and they are working hard to resolve this.

Let's wait for some good solution from them.

Thanks againg for all your efforts.

scottr2001
Regular Visitor

I am experiencing the same issue.  I have contacted cloud front but have not gotten a response.  

joglidden
Advocate III
Advocate III

Microsoft and CloudFronts Technologies, LLP: either give a solution, or pull your DialGauge from the visuals gallery and allow us to move on with the crappy built-in dial gauge or something else. This situation is currently intolerable. 

Microsoft: do you understand how important a decent-looking dial gauge is to executive dashboards? I suggest that you work on building one for the default visuals pane. The native one you have is unacceptable. Seriously Microsoft, I moved to PBI from IBM Cognos for many reasons, but this is not one of them. 

To further add to the oddity of it all, I uninstalled the new version and reinstalled last month's version (where the gagues were working for me last week) and even the old version of PowerBI would not display them and coudln't add the new or old visual package to a PowerBI file.

I agree with @joglidden - I understand how Microsoft is not responsible for full support of this, but it should be holding it's vendors liable to being communicative to users and addressing bug fixes or removing them from the gallery.  It's also pretty disappointing that Microsoft hasn't come up with their own solution for the RYG dials (as the now-broken Dial Gauges were functional, but never elegant)

Need this fixed ASAP - I sure hope there's a dedicated Microsoft person that is reaching out to this developer to provide any assistance/prodding.

I tried the same and encountered the same issue.  The Dial Gauge would now no longer show up in the visualization panel even in the previous version.  Is there some hidden temp files that needs to be cleared or registry changes to be made after uninstalling the newer version of Power BI before installing the older version in order to view the dial gauge?

dolney
Frequent Visitor

It is reassuring to see it is happening to others.  But I too, need a solution. Several of my reports are now bascially broken.

Add me to the ranks. It's almost funny how this things have a knack for happening just before you have to showcase the solution to senior management. Guess I'll have to improvise a reason for delaying the meeting and either re-do all the work without custom visuals. It's that or ditching Power Bi before we even try it.

Borntoreport
Helper II
Helper II

Thank you for your post! This morning i have discovered exactly the same problem and no solution yet. Any support is highly welcome!

bpeters
Advocate I
Advocate I

Same problem. Think it is result of the update to the custom visual.

Given this visual is just an extension of this work http://tomerdoron.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/google-style-gauges-using-d3js.html made for power bi custom visuals, almost at the point of reimplementing it myself so it's consistent for my reports, also add some functionality like changing band colors, and toggle for percentage.

Unfortunately because when this broke with last months update, I swapped it over to built in gauge, but since worked out if all measures were added in order the breaking changes from last month didn't affect it anymore I swapped back. So now I need to swap to default gauges for all our reports, and it doesnt allow you just just click a different visualliser with this breaking change. So don't have time to pursue this at present.

Currently have a different visual going through the process of being submitted to be shared and would have preferred to be completing documentation for that so others can use it already.

NH
Advocate II
Advocate II

Yes I'm seeing the same issue. I've tried to download the latest dialguage and tried to import to the Pbix but still has the same issue.

Anyone know the work around

Yes, I'm seeing this same issue.

I've been using DialGauge.1.0.0.pbiviz in 7 or 8 different reports succssfully for months and months now. They've displayed perfectly in both Power BI Desktop and in the Power BI service for many months now as I use them heavily.

Everything was working fine even this morning, 10/3/2016, but tonight when I open any of these reports (or log into the Power BI service) I get exactly the same symptoms as reported above. 

Other custom visualizations in those same reports, such as Globe Map, still work. It's just Dial Guage that has stopped working in all reports simultaneously.

I tried importing DialGauge.1.0.0.pbiviz into a new/blank report and while Power BI Desktop reports a successful import no icon appears for it.

I downloaded the newer DialGauge.1.0.1.pbiviz and the same thing happened.

I downloaded the sample .pbix file containing DialGauge.1.0.1.pbiviz from the visualization gallery and it was similarly blank.

So this problem happened sometime in the last few hours. I ran some updates this morning and everything was fine. I've come back to them this evening and this visualization is broken in all files. I even opened ones containing DialGauge that I haven't even opened today and they're broken as well.

The last thing I tried was updating to the very latest build of Power BI Desktop and the same thing happens either importing it into a new report or opening an existing report.

This is very frustrating as I make heavy use of this dial as Power BI's in-built KPI visualization is poor by comparison when you need amber and green targets for your KPIs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.