Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bcobrien1977
Helper IV
Helper IV

Desktop not refreshing because asking to rebuild query- references other queries or steps.

Hi,

I have a a report with several queries where it the refresh fails in both service and desktop because it is asking me to rebuild the queries.  Essentially some of these queries that are to be rebuilt are used in support (filtering the data).

As an example, the renamed column 7, is a copy of the query used to find the min date of each project.

Does anyone know how to get around this?

bcobrien1977_0-1686059074695.png

In the main query, the last three steps are to merge the data with the min helper query and pull in the first date (that I can use to filter). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

bcobrien1977_1-1686059128559.png

3 REPLIES 3
bcobrien1977
Helper IV
Helper IV

Thanks, that works.  Would using a reference also solve that issue? Just trying to think about how to best approach that situation.

Hello!

I didn't do this test for this scenario, but in cases where I used references in Power BI, performance was no better than copying the code and generating a new query.

marcosvin
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hello!

If I understand correctly what happened was a circular dependency: your query that returns the first date of each project is using the other queries doing a MERGE between them, and then your other queries are trying to use this query that returns the first date of project.
If so, you can alternatively redo the min project data query using new queries (new table names in PowerQuery), to eliminate this reference to the same name when the filter is applied to your main queries.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.