Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tadam98
Regular Visitor

Desktop BI cannot connect with Subscription Access 2016. All64bits. Cannot install redistributables.

Hi,

I am new to Desktop BI. 

When trying to connect with an exsiting Access 2016 database I get the message:

Unable to connect. We encountered an error while trying to connect.

Details: "Microsoft Access: The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine. The 64-bit version of the Access Database Engine 2010 Access Database Engine OLEDB provider is required to connect to read this type of file. To download the client software, visit the following site: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=285987."

Both my DesktopBI and Access 2016 are 64bits.

I am using the subscription program of Access 2016.

When trying to install the Microsoft Access 2016 Runtime, I get the message that it is incompatible with my click-to-run office version.

Not sure how to contimue,

Thanks,

Mickey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @tadam98,

From the error prompt, you should download the Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable for the 64-bit version to enable the connection between Power BI desktop and Access 2016.

You can download .exe file here: Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @tadam98,

From the error prompt, you should download the Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable for the 64-bit version to enable the connection between Power BI desktop and Access 2016.

You can download .exe file here: Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

HI,

Worked, thanks.

I tried to install the Access 2016 Redist as it looked more suitable to me for Access 2010.

Maybe Microsoft should consider improving the language in the error link and say "Install this package and do not worry about the 2016 package" or something similar.

Best,

Mickey

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.