Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Torbenand
Frequent Visitor

Deneb Freeze X Axis in Gantt Diagram

I've made this Gantt Diagram in Deneb.

Torbenand_0-1681294111680.png

This issue is, when I scroll up in the Diagram the X-Axis dissapears and I can,'t see the years. Can this X axis be froozen, so it visible when scrolling up?

This is my code (yes, it is my first time using Deneb)

Torbenand_1-1681294376140.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
giammariam
Super User
Super User

Hey @Torbenand. Unfortunately freezing elements or layout components does not seem possible in the Vega languages alone. This is something that I have wanted for quite a while. However, I have seen workarounds that use interval selections to simulate this behavior. You can even make the brushing selector somewhat look like a scroll bar. The LOE for this seems pretty significant and if possible with the Gantt, it would need to be in Vega, not Vega-Lite. This is because we have access to configure brushing behavior in Vega only.

I've been wanting to prove this out myself for a while, so if you are ok with switching to Vega, and the larger learning curve that comes with it, I can give this a shot. 

If the answer is yes, do you mind providing a sanitized dataset (here's how)?

Madison Giammaria
Proud to be a Super User 😄
LinkedIn

Do you frequently use Deneb to provide insights to your stakeholders? Have you considered sponsoring this free and open source custom visual? More info here!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Please see this video for one way to implement scrolling with Vega Lite.

@Torbenand 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmC5k12jd_Y

Pat

Microsoft Employee
Torbenand
Frequent Visitor

Hi Madison

thanks for your answer and thank you for your commitment to help.  😀 Too bad this function isn't available in Vega Lite. I'll need to get back to my customer to seem if this functionality is so important, that they would want us to spend time on this or they can live without this.

Makes sense. And there is the alternate workaround that @ppm1 shared below that may be worth sharing with your customer as well. While it deviates from the typical user experience one would expect with regard to scrolling, your customer may find that it will suffice just fine, especially when you explain that it is a significant lower level of effort to implement when compared to what I'm proposing.

Madison Giammaria
LinkedIn

Do you frequently use Deneb to provide insights to your stakeholders? Have you considered sponsoring this free and open source custom visual? More info here!
giammariam
Super User
Super User

Hey @Torbenand. Unfortunately freezing elements or layout components does not seem possible in the Vega languages alone. This is something that I have wanted for quite a while. However, I have seen workarounds that use interval selections to simulate this behavior. You can even make the brushing selector somewhat look like a scroll bar. The LOE for this seems pretty significant and if possible with the Gantt, it would need to be in Vega, not Vega-Lite. This is because we have access to configure brushing behavior in Vega only.

I've been wanting to prove this out myself for a while, so if you are ok with switching to Vega, and the larger learning curve that comes with it, I can give this a shot. 

If the answer is yes, do you mind providing a sanitized dataset (here's how)?

Madison Giammaria
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.