Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Ap674

Dealing with Column name changing

Hi everyone ! I have a big problem that is ruining my whole dashboard! I am pivoting some columns eg 201920 Q1, 201819 Q1 and then I create measures using these pivoted columns. Everytime I refresh the dasboard is breaking as the new column name is 201920 Q2 etc... Do you have something to suggest on how to deal with this problem?
3 REPLIES 3
edhans
Super User
Super User

You can refer to the columns by index number. For example, instead of 

= Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"month Arriving date", "test"}})

Which is normally what would happen if you clicked on column and renamed it, modfy it to use the following syntax:

= Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type", {{Table.ColumnNames(#"Changed Type"){2}, "test"}})

Basically instead of referring to the "month Arriving date" column by name, I am getting the name of the 3rd column (Power Query indexes by 0, so {2} is the 3rd column) and renaming it to "test"

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @Ap674 ,

Please post a sample data (a link to google/one drive or dropbox).

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.
Mann
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @Ap674 

You need to handle dynamic column names in Power query before you do Pivoting. See this video for doing that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBJr0sAc-m4

Mann.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.