Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dax formulas work and no work

Hi! 

I have a weird problem with my data and dax formulas.

I have an excel worksheet where everymonth I paste the data from the past month.

I've load this excel to my power bi, create some DAX formulas that work ok. These are 2 examples:

1) Estado Manager = LOOKUPVALUE('PERU Aplausometro - Enviados Gr'[Estado],'PERU Aplausometro - Enviados Gr'[Nombre de usuario],('PERU Aplausometro - Enviados Gr'[Manager Login ID Nombre de usuario]))

2) Rec. Otorgados Manager = LOOKUPVALUE('PERU Aplausometro - Enviados Gr'[Cantidad de reconocimientos otorgados],'PERU Aplausometro - Enviados Gr'[Nombre de usuario],('PERU Aplausometro - Enviados Gr'[Manager Login ID Nombre de usuario]))

When I load the next month data (march), this 2 formulas don't work anymore. The errors that appear are the followings: "a table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected".

If I erase what I just load, the dax formulas work fine again.

In the excel i tried print the format of the past month to the new one, but still doesn´t work.

Anybody knows why is this happening??

Thanks a lot!!

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, if i just paste part of my new data in my excel and refresh, only the second dax formula (Rec. Otorgados Manager) doesn´t work. The first one does!

thanks!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous -

The function LOOKUPVALUE only can return a single value (Scalar).

If more than one value meets the criteria that you provide, that will cause an error.

In your first example, if there is more than 1 [estado] associated with a user/manager, the calculation will fail.

In your second example, if there is more than 1  [Cantidad de reconocimientos otorgados] associated with a user/manager, the calculation will fail.

You either need to provide more filters, or use a different calculation.

Hope this helps,

Nathan

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just understand the difference why in one works and in the other one don't.

I have the data of all the employees (including managers and no managers) with columns such as the quantity of recognitions they gave and the name of his manager.

I create another column beside the managers name with the "Estado/Status" (first formula) and how many recognitions they gave (the second i used). Which other formula would you recommend? 

thanks!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous - The calculation depends on what you're trying to achieve. Could you provide some sample data and expected result. Especially important is what do you want to happen when there is more than one value row with the same employee / manager?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think i understandthe problem. When there are 2 months in the power bi, there are 2 different results, thats why figures ERROR. When I only leave one month, this doens´t happen.

Is there a way I can include in the formulas I already have a filter that is sincronized with my slicer Month?

thanks a lot again @Anonymous !!

HI, @Anonymous 

The best way is that add a year-month column (the next month) when you load the next month data.

Then add a conditional that group year-month.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous - If you want to continue to use LOOKUPVALUE, you could add a third filter for the month.

However, it seems like you already have the information you need - I am not sure whether you need this calculation at all. For instance, if you are using a table or matrix, simply use the existing column. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.