Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tonysantangelo
Frequent Visitor

Dax Measure to Count Number of Selected Values in Hierarchical Slicer

Let's say I have a hierarchy with columns of TableName[Year] and TableName[Month]. It's sort of a date hierarchy in concept but technically it's not. The slicer looks like this:

tonysantangelo_0-1669768204561.png

How can I write a DAX measure to count the number of months selected in the slicer? Here's my attempt:

Count Slicer Selections = COUNTROWS(ALLSELECTED(TableName[Month]))

This works fine when particular months are selected. However, when I select Year 1 or Year 2, it returns a value of 14. My desired behavior is that the measure returns 12 when Year 1 is selected and 2 when Year 2 is selected. Even though the boxes in the slicer for each month are automatically darkened, I believe only TableName[Year] is considered to be filtered in this scenario and not TableName[Month]. Hence, the measure returns same value as if no filter/slicer selection is made.

I'm fine with the measure returning 14 when no slicer selection is made. There's no need to use ISFILTERED to make it return 0 in that case, although I have a feeling the solution might still involve ISFILTERED. 

Lastly, note that the number of months in Year 2 will change over time. I can't hardcode something like "If Year 1 selected, then add 12. If Year 2 selected then add 2." If there were a more generic way of counting the number of months in each selected year and summing them, that would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Please try this expression instead

Count Slicer Selections = COUNTROWS(DISTINCT(TableName[Month]))

Pat

Microsoft Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AhmadBakr

The suggested solution returns total number of values if all or none is selected. how can we return 0 if no selection is made?

ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Please try this expression instead

Count Slicer Selections = COUNTROWS(DISTINCT(TableName[Month]))

Pat

Microsoft Employee

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.