Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Arun_BI
Helper I
Helper I

Date value difference between SharePoint data source and power BI

Hi All,

I have a SharePoint list and connected that to Power BI. I see a 1-day difference between Power BI and the SharePoint list for a date column. Attached is the sample image for reference.

'For eg , In my SharePoint list, the date value is 26-May-22 and in power BI it is showing as 25-May-22

Sharepoint List: 

Capture.PNG

Power BI Data: 

Capture111.PNG

Please let me know why there is an issue with a difference of 1 day. 

Thanks

Arun

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Power BI only handles using UTC for data but SharePoint is possibly reporting the data in the +1 timezone.

SharePoint will record dates in it's database as a Date/Time by default, but for Midnight local time for the current date as per your SharePoint site's locale settings, it will convert that into a display friendly date only format on your sharepoint list, so daylight savings will cause havoc with this if you are trying to export this list data for use in anything else.

In Power Query, if you change the column to Date/Time. Does it show the previous day but 11pm or earlier? A bit of a awkward workaround is to add a Power Query step to set up a custom column to add a few hours to the date column, usually for the difference you see but may be worth adding 1 more hour as if you have daylight savings times in your locale, then in October this will happen again, but then format it back to Date Only in Power Query so you don't notice a difference.

Please note - I am not affiliated with Microsoft, I'm just an end user like yourself.
Just a regular guy doin' Data Science.

If my post has helped you, please don't forget to thumbs up or click "Accept as solution" if it solved your problem!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sompolk
Frequent Visitor

I recommend you create new column DateAdj by adj hr value such as DateAdj=[Date]+#duration(0,7,0,0) afterthat publish to workspace and refresh again. Sometime time on PWBI Desktop and Workspace isn't the same value.

danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @Arun_BI ,

Possibly because they are using different timezones. If im not mistaken Power BI UTC. Try checking the timezone your SharePoint site is set to.

Site Settings >> Click on “Regional Settings” under “Site Administration”
On the Regional settings page, You can set the time zone, locale, and other regional settings.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Hi,

My SharePoint site settings seem to be fine. I don't have any issues with SharePoint data since it is showing correctly as 26-May-22 but in power BI it is showing as 25-May-22 which is wrong. Do you know how to change the timezone in Power BI 

Power BI only handles using UTC for data but SharePoint is possibly reporting the data in the +1 timezone.

SharePoint will record dates in it's database as a Date/Time by default, but for Midnight local time for the current date as per your SharePoint site's locale settings, it will convert that into a display friendly date only format on your sharepoint list, so daylight savings will cause havoc with this if you are trying to export this list data for use in anything else.

In Power Query, if you change the column to Date/Time. Does it show the previous day but 11pm or earlier? A bit of a awkward workaround is to add a Power Query step to set up a custom column to add a few hours to the date column, usually for the difference you see but may be worth adding 1 more hour as if you have daylight savings times in your locale, then in October this will happen again, but then format it back to Date Only in Power Query so you don't notice a difference.

Please note - I am not affiliated with Microsoft, I'm just an end user like yourself.
Just a regular guy doin' Data Science.

If my post has helped you, please don't forget to thumbs up or click "Accept as solution" if it solved your problem!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.