Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

DrewSmith
Helper II
Helper II

Date join doesn't seem to be working

I'm trying to build a Dashboard that focus on results when a user selects a Month and Year (example only show data for June 2023). 

I've created a Calendar Table as the base:

Picture1.png

and the other two tables look like this: 

Meeting: Meeting.png

Table 1: Table 1.png

I've joined them as follows: 

Join 1.pngJoin 2.png

When I make basic card visuals, the count works: 

Base.png

Add a filter, and it breaks:

Filter.png

All columns are formatted to short date. This should be relatively straightforward. Meeting & Table 1 are Excel imports. 

Where is it going wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mlsx4
Super User
Super User

Hi @DrewSmith 

Have you checked in Power Query Editor that none of the dates have hours? If so (even if you formatted it), try to split it. Here you have a link: https://www.exceljetconsult.com.ng/home/blog/power-query-split-date-and-time-into-separate-columns/

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mlsx4
Super User
Super User

Hi @DrewSmith 

Have you checked in Power Query Editor that none of the dates have hours? If so (even if you formatted it), try to split it. Here you have a link: https://www.exceljetconsult.com.ng/home/blog/power-query-split-date-and-time-into-separate-columns/

Thank you. Setting up a new date column appears to have worked! Thank you. 

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

HI @DrewSmith ,

From which table your Month, Year filter is coming?

It should be ideally from Calendar table as it is the dimention DATE table that filters your TABLE 1 and MEETING tables.

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

As you suspect. Sorry, I should have said that the Month/Year filter was coming from the Calendar table. 

HI @DrewSmith ,

Have you cheked in Table 1 and Meeting table that there is data for the selection?

Are there records for March 2023 in both of these tables?

Also make sure gthe following relationship filter direction is ONE, not sure why you have BOTH:

Pragati11_0-1690203010742.png

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

I changed that to single, but it still does not work. 

I also changed the slicer to come from the meeting table and get 14 (which is correct). Change the slicer to come from the calendar table and it shows (blank) which makes me think it doesn't like the join. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

February 2024 Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - February 2024

Check out the February 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Fabric Career Hub

Microsoft Fabric Career Hub

Explore career paths and learn resources in Fabric.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.