Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date changing to incorrect date regardless of region

Hi guys,

Imported some data with a date column, coming in as a string:

Capture2.JPG

When I change the field type to date, it's converting really oddly:

Capture.JPG

Tried changing the date format based on locale, which didnt work. Which makes sense since the locale would normally switch the month/day order, not completely change it?

Any ideas? The whole column is unfortunately filled with the same value so I don't have any other sample data but throwing this out there incase someone else has experienced it before.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for replying @vanessafvg.

It turned out to be something a little silly. The dataset behind the query was updated while I was using query editor.

The behavior of the query editor was still very strange, it shouldn't have updated without me pressing refresh, and even if i did, it should have updated all 'steps' of the transformation at the same time. Instead I was able to spend a quite a while deleting and remaking transformation 'steps' which appeared to be changing the data.

Anyway it's all fixed now, if someone else has the same issue they can try checking if the original dataset has changed, even if they didnt refresh the info.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous that is very weird, dont suppose you could share your pbix?  if not try format trim and clean then convert?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for replying @vanessafvg.

It turned out to be something a little silly. The dataset behind the query was updated while I was using query editor.

The behavior of the query editor was still very strange, it shouldn't have updated without me pressing refresh, and even if i did, it should have updated all 'steps' of the transformation at the same time. Instead I was able to spend a quite a while deleting and remaking transformation 'steps' which appeared to be changing the data.

Anyway it's all fixed now, if someone else has the same issue they can try checking if the original dataset has changed, even if they didnt refresh the info.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.