Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aekoll
Frequent Visitor

Date Table Relating to Two Tables with Dates

Hi everyone,

First of all thank you very much for trying to help me. I am relatively new to Power BI and still learning. I am currently facing an issue where I can not wrap my head around.

I have a Datamodel with four different tables in it. I will briefly explain them, but I also attached a sample Power BI Dataset  where I rebuilt my issue with simple excel files. I need to create a report with the timekeeping entries of our workers. For that I have:

• A table with all our workers (users) and their ID. Simple as that.
  • A table with all Timeentries per user, day and project. This means that a user worked the specific amount of time on a specific date on a specific project.
  • A table with the Weekly total per user and week. The total value is  the calculation of all time that was worked in a week minus the time someone should work in a week for each user. This results in the amount of over- or under (do you say it like that? ;)) time a worker had for each week.
  • A date table with the min date of either the weekly total or timeentries (whatever is lower) and the max date of the higher date of the two.

In the end I want to reate a table that shows each user, their total time that they worked (so sum of timeentries) and their current over- or undertime total (so sum of total in weekly total) and to be able to filter that with my date table.

Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 12.30.27.png

However I can not get the relations between all of those tables setup in a way that this works. I would always end up with a circular relationship that does obviously not work. Do you have any ideas on how to slove this or any approach on how I could find a solution for this.

Thank you so much for your help and time! I really appreciate it. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
mangaus1111
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @aekoll ,

try first to set a relationship 1 to many between data table and weekly totals and then change all the relationships from bi-directional to single directional like in this example:

mangaus1111_0-1667994256042.png

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

onurbmiguel_
Super User
Super User

Hi 

Please take a look a this solution: 

LINK

If this is not what you pretend, please send a draft what should by the final result.

Best regards

Bruno Costa | Continued Contributor

Did I help you to answer your question? Accepted my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!! 👍

Take a look at the blog: PBI Portugal 

wp-1586527108426

Best regards

Bruno Costa | Super User

Did I help you to answer your question? Accepted my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!! 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
onurbmiguel_
Super User
Super User

Hi 

Please take a look a this solution: 

LINK

If this is not what you pretend, please send a draft what should by the final result.

Best regards

Bruno Costa | Continued Contributor

Did I help you to answer your question? Accepted my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!! 👍

wp-1586527108426

Best regards

Bruno Costa | Super User

Did I help you to answer your question? Accepted my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!! 

mangaus1111
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @aekoll ,

try first to set a relationship 1 to many between data table and weekly totals and then change all the relationships from bi-directional to single directional like in this example:

mangaus1111_0-1667994256042.png

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @mangaus1111 ,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I changed the relation as per your suggestion and it does work indeed like this. I might have to check if the changed filtering directions had some influence for other graphs in the big report, but so far it looks good! Can't believe I did not try this on my own..

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.