Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MichaelOB
Frequent Visitor

Date Slider filtering logic misbehaving

Hey Microsoft Friends,

The following error is consistent in Power BI in the cloud, Power BI optmized for report server (Jan 2023) and Power BI Report Server, The only place that I could not find this to be true is Power BI Desktop. 

Here is the issue. I am using ALL on a staff member in hopes of using this as a denominator for a a simple percentage. When I place the date slider on the page, I don't see any issue, however if I move the date slider from the max date shown and then put this back on the max date shown the behavior changes. 

Example: 

Calc for ALL person = 

MichaelOB_0-1682945484321.png

Correct Result for Georgia = 5

Notice the Value to Show Error below.

MichaelOB_1-1682945513042.png

When I filter the Person, the result should remain 5 by using ALL. I didn't change any filters on the page other than selecting a person, which is where ALL is applied. 

MichaelOB_2-1682945637030.png

Now, The dates are set at MIN and MAX. So, the intended behavior would be the entire set of data including the dates. However, that's not true. BUT, if I click on the eraser icon on the date, the intended behavior comes back! Look at the next screen shot. So, as you can see, by clicking on the Eraser, the intended behavior of ALL returns by showing 5, which is the correct result. I show the values in red equaling 3 to show the actual values. 

MichaelOB_3-1682945809530.png

In a nutshell, the date filter, you would assume, would eliminate any filtering by selecting the min and max of all dates, however that is not true. You have to apply an additional step of actually erasing the date selections even though there are no dates being filtered.

2 REPLIES 2
MichaelOB
Frequent Visitor

Hey @amitchandak

I appreciate you taking a look!! 

Removing the filters for the table is not what I am after. The behavior between 2 versions of power BI is different when using the same DAX function. 

All would remove the filter context from the table thereby disallowing you to move the date slider and select a person with no real use or ability to use the date slider. The date is not filtered by any page of visual level filters. The issue is that the presence of the date and any movement of that date produces incorrect results. 

Take a look
Result before I touch the date: 

5 is the correct result

MichaelOB_0-1682964833244.png

When I filter the person:

MichaelOB_1-1682964897435.png

When I move the date back and forth: 

MichaelOB_2-1682964937919.png

MichaelOB_3-1682964963061.png

Notice how the date is still 11/29 in both instances yet ALL is not working any longer until I use the Eraser on the date? This has never happened when using ALL in any other calculation.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@MichaelOB , Use All() , all(sheet1)  in place of all(sheet1[person])

Power BI How ALL Works: https://youtu.be/LXgzlZ38mwU

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.