Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pankajdhillon
Frequent Visitor

Date Hierachy

In my dataset I have a date column and I tried it's data type as Date or Date/Time but in both cases when I am using that column as Axis in Line chart, it is detecting "Date Hierachy" only as Year, not Day, quarter etc. as it suppose to be, what can be the reason for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
WillT
Community Admin
Community Admin

At the moment, line charts don't support drill-down so they don't use the full date hierarchy capability. You can set it back to use just 'Date' by clicking the little dropdown arrow on it in the field well. We'll finish support for drill in line charts soon. Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Ironpixel
Employee
Employee

Standard PBI hack seems to work...

Use a Line and Stacked Column Chart or visual with columns.  That will allow you to filter to month or quarter.

Then change back to Line or Area Chart and it will maintain the selection.

Throught the forums I have noticed that they have removed some of these hack fixes, sometimes with supporting the feature sometimes not.  Just so you know in case it breaks in a future release.

Hope that helps.

davidmoors

@WillT I am using onpremising data. The date hierachy functionality works when my connection is IMPORT. 🙂 However when I change to Directaccess it does work :(. Is this the expected behaviour? Or will Date Hierachy functionality will soon be available for DirectAccess connections? Thanks for your work. - David

This is a real issue that needs to be addressed in my opinion.

WillT
Community Admin
Community Admin

At the moment, line charts don't support drill-down so they don't use the full date hierarchy capability. You can set it back to use just 'Date' by clicking the little dropdown arrow on it in the field well. We'll finish support for drill in line charts soon. Thanks!

Hi WillT,

Is there any update on date drill functionality for the line charts ?

Cheers

I followed this tutorial: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-tutorial-analyzing-sales-data-from...

It suggests that the line chart does support this now, but I only see years.

Am I doing something wrong or is the tutorial inaccurate?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.