Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

C991398
Frequent Visitor

Datamart's updated measures and PowerBI Desktop

Hi everyone!
I've been experimenting with Datamarts and I'm unsure on how the updates that you make to more complex functionalities (like measures and releationships) work when building reports off the datamart, specially using PowerBI desktop.
Here are the basic steps of my test:

At first, I built a datamart with a simple table and a measure.
After that, I created a report directly from the datamart and saved it to my worskpace.

I downloaded the report and opened it in PowerBI desktop and everything showed OK, both table and measure.

After that, I added a new measure to the datamart. That's when I started seen differences. The local report wasn't able to get the new measure, but the one on the server did. I tried refreshing and closing and opening the report, it didn't help.
I tried publishing the local report (with a different name) but on the server the new measure also didn't show up.

This seemed to be the case also for releationships.

My theory is that as long as you build the report on the service, everything change you make to the datamart after it's creation affect the reports built directly on the service, but as soon as you download them as a PBIX file, any changes to releationships and measures made to the datamart won't update anymore.

I've looked around but couln't find an official anser on this, could anyone help me and direct me to any official article with an answer or explination on this?

Thank you all very much!

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@C991398 , once you refresh it should show the new measure, Just make sure the connection is showing as a live connection. and your login is correct.

If everything is correct, then log an issue -https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

Hi amitchandak, thank you for your answer.

This works if you create a report using the dataset that's automatically created for the datamart.

But if you create a report from the datamart, and then download it, the connection is not to the dataset but directly to the datamart as a SQL connection.

Is there a way to connect to the source that way and maintain any changes made to the measures?

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.