Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ontario234
Helper I
Helper I

Data refresh + Append + Summarized Tables

Hi,

I have 4 million rows of data in my power BI desktop (32bit june 2017 version). I imported the data from my database for each year sepeartly (from 2009-2017). Then , I created an append table (from edit queries), which is combining data from all these years and named it as "ALL". I have the following questions now:

a) I need my 2009-2016 data to remain fixed and this is why I just refreshed 2017 data. When I do that, i notice that the "ALL" table doesnt get updated. I had to update/refresh "ALL"manually (which is very time consuming since it starts refreshing data from each table one by one)....Shouldnt the table "ALL" be automatically updated once any of 'year' table is refreshed.

b) Using the table "ALL", i created some summarized tables (using modelling-->Newtable). Do these summarized tables need to get updated manually as well? or they get refreshed automatically once the "ALL" is refreshed? Dont these summarized tables behave like queries in MS-ACCESS?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ontario234,

a) I need my 2009-2016 data to remain fixed and this is why I just refreshed 2017 data. When I do that, i notice that the "ALL" table doesnt get updated. I had to update/refresh "ALL"manually (which is very time consuming since it starts refreshing data from each table one by one)....Shouldnt the table "ALL" be automatically updated once any of 'year' table is refreshed. 

The "ALL" table can not update automatically, if load the dara in import mode.  As I tested, you 2017 year data changes in your database, you must click the "Refresh" in Power BI desktop, so that the data updates.

If you load your data in DirectQuery model, the data in database changes, the date in desktop can changes.

In addition, you can create report in Power BI desktop and publish it to service, install a gateway to transfer data, create schedule refresh, the report and dataset will refresh automatically. Please review the articles below.

Data refresh in Power BI
On-premises data gateway
On-premises data gateway in-depth

b) Using the table "ALL", i created some summarized tables (using modelling-->Newtable). Do these summarized tables need to get updated manually as well? or they get refreshed automatically once the "ALL" is refreshed? Dont these summarized tables behave like queries in MS-ACCESS?

If your ALL table is refreshed, the summarized table also refresh on the same time.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi, i have daily data coming in, so i need to shedule to pick the new file and append and refresh, how is this possible

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ontario234,

The "ALL" table can not update automatically, if load the dara in import mode.  As I tested, you 2017 year data changes in your database, you must click the "Refresh" in Power BI desktop, so that the data updates.

If you load your data in DirectQuery model, the data in database changes, the date in desktop can changes.

In addition, you can create report in Power BI desktop and publish it to service, install a gateway to transfer data, create schedule refresh, the report and dataset will refresh automatically. Please review the articles below.

Data refresh in Power BI
On-premises data gateway
On-premises data gateway in-depth

If your ALL table is refreshed, the summarized table also refresh on the same time.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.