Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

brianmsbc
Frequent Visitor

Data points on a line chart do not connect when you have multiple values you wish to plot

I have two years of weekly data (so i get data once per week for the last two years) and its plotted by Date. I set up the line chart so that its year over year instead of year after year (left to right).

2018's data points were all connected but once 2019 began overlapping 2019, the data points are no longer connected. Instead of a line, they are just dots. 

After much research i havent found a way to keep the 2018 data points connected to each other and the 2019 data points connected to each other. It seems like because there are breaks in the data (because ites weekly and not daily), there is no way to keep them connected.

Has anyone else run into this issue and were you able to resolve it?

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Is your x-axis categorical or continuous? What if you use your Year as a Legend so that you get 2 separate lines?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you. This solved my problem.

I have tried using Year in the legend field with a single value in the Values field... I have also tried using an empty legend field and two value fields (2018 and 2019). They both looked exactly the same when plotted (broken once they begin overlapping).

I remember at one point having the option on the X axis to pick Categorical or Continuous, but for some reason it is no longer showing up as an option (its not even greyed out, it just doesnt exist as an option). Does anyone know why that option would be removed from the X Axis list? (its not in the Y axis option list either)

Any way you can provide example/sample data to replicate?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I created a sample data set and a sample powerBI project but im not sure how to upload it to the thread. Help?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.