Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dini_03

Data keeps losing once I delete the queries and connections

Hello everyone! 

I am just new to my job and I currently facing this issue. I have a report previously done by my colleague (which consists of pivot tables, measures, power queries, and connections) that needs to be submitted to my boss every month. 

However, I found out that the file size is too big to be sent through email and will lag once someone tries to open the excel file. 

So the question is: 

1. I tried to solve this file size by deleting the power queries/connections but it causes my pivot table to lose its data. How can I resolve this? My boss just needs to see the pivot table only and not the queries. 

1 REPLY 1
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

This sounds like excel and not power BI?

That said you can't have one without the other and keep it dynamic. You'd have to copy and paste values to a new file to see a static version.

You'd be better to look at the data power query is bringing in:

1) Are some tables only being used as staging queries for later down the power query line. If so mark them as do not load.

2) Are there any columns that are not used in the pivot table, remove them.

3) Are you loading data over all time, can you filter to just the last year or so?

More involved solutions:

4) I'm guessing you're loading all data to tables and then building tables. Similar to 1) for the tables you need mark them as load to data model rather than a table. I suspect that will reduce the size but you'd then have to rebuild pivots.

5) If your company has power bi licences move the whole lot into power bi so you're not shipping files around. Your power query will be transferable.

Hope some ideas help.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.