Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gustavotorrealb
Frequent Visitor

Dashboard Refresh Stuck in "Creating connection in Model..."

Hello

I have been having a problem lately with the refresh of my dashboards in PowerBI, everytime i refresh they get stuck on "Creating connection in model..." and it remains there for long and it doesn't actually refresh I don't know what might be happening.  My source files ( 2 files) are all .xlsx stored in SharePoint Online. All the source URLs are accurate -- any ideas?

Kind regards,

Gustavo.

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi gustavotorrealb,

Please check if the URL link of sharepoint folder you have input is correct and also check if the account of PBI desktop you are signing in is the same account with sharepoint.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Thanks for your replay @v-yuta-msft,

I have checked all that just in case there was an error in the query, but everything seems to be fine with the URL, and the account is the same. Last friday I was carefully reviewing the source files, and then the data in the query and I realized of something strange in the query data from the BI file: The source File (Excel file) had 3300 rows (this was normal, and about 30 columns; well, when looking at the query source in the BI file, I could see that for some reason there were (3300 x 30) columns created with [null] values.. which is the same result of the number of [columns x rows] combined I had on the source file.

Solution: This seemed very odd to me, so I had to add one step on the query and remove all the columns with [null] values and leave the 30 columns that I originally had. 

This solved my issue....

New question: Eventhough I don't have the problem anymore.. the question remains: Why would the PowerBI > query would load as many columns as cells (Nbr columns x Nbr rows) from the excel source file? If I never had that issue before, was there some sort of update on the PowerBI?

Thanks,

Gustavo Torrealba

Hi,

Thanks a lot for sharing your story, it helped me to solve my issue to. After I read the solution, I go back and validated each table and saw on table having n number of column, though excel does not have. After I removed those column. The table loaded perfectly. Tahnk again for the solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.