Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MickyG
Frequent Visitor

Daily Rolling Sum Not Continuing After Blank Dates

I tried this DAX formula I found on the web to calculate a rolling 7 day sum. However for Austin there is no records past 9/9, so you would expect the running sum to continue 6 days after 9/9 but it goes to zero once there are no records to calulate. I included the sum of cases right next to the rolling sum for reference. Please let me know what other info is needed. Thank you.

MickyG_0-1631901968431.png

MickyG_1-1631902001615.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MickyG 

you can try this,

Measure = 
var _currentDate=MIN('Table'[date])
var _startDate=_currentDate-7
return CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[value]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[date]>_startDate&&'Table'[date]<=_currentDate))

vxiaotang_0-1632216105837.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MickyG 

you can try this,

Measure = 
var _currentDate=MIN('Table'[date])
var _startDate=_currentDate-7
return CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[value]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[date]>_startDate&&'Table'[date]<=_currentDate))

vxiaotang_0-1632216105837.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

even though i can't see a break in your data, its best practice to use a date table to ensure sure its continious when using date centred measures, something is broken it seems  and its hard to know without looking at your data?  

can you create a date table and link  to your table and use the date fields from the date table

here is a good example of the pattern

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/rolling-12-months-average-in-dax/

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

You are correct Vanessa, I linked it to my dates table instead of the report date. That took care of the spaces in between but The rolling sum still isn't continuing it's calcu;ation after a date with "0" records. I included a pic. (The pic includes El Paso because there breaks between the data) And funny enough this is the article I got the code from.

MickyG_0-1631907536681.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.