Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

pprasad2
Helper I
Helper I

DAX calculation in one table that looks for the availability of a value in second table

Hi All,

I need help.

I need to write a DAX calculation that gives me the count of all 'ExceptionNames' from 'Main Table' only when the exception present in second custom table 'Eligible Exceptions'? Could you help?

Updated Entries(Current) = CALCULATE(COUNT(MAIN_TABLE[ExceptionName]), FILTER('MAIN_TABLE', 'MAIN_TABLE[ExceptionName] = RELATED('Eligible_Exceptions'(ExceptionName))

Basically I have list of 40+ reason codes in my table but I need to consider 6 of them now. so i created a custom table with those 6 reasoncodes and trying the search in the custom table before counting in the main table.

pprasad2_0-1610638681456.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pprasad2 ,

Based on your description, I created a sample file. You can use FIND or SEARCH for string comparison, and then count the column.

Column = 

IF(
      SUMX('Table',
           FIND(
                'Table'[Product],
                Sheet2[Product]
               )
          ) > 0,
      CALCULATE(COUNT(Sheet2[Country])
            ,ALLEXCEPT(Sheet2,Sheet2[Product]
     )))

V-lianl-msft_0-1611024702990.pngV-lianl-msft_1-1611024710309.png

Sample .pbix

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pprasad2 ,

Based on your description, I created a sample file. You can use FIND or SEARCH for string comparison, and then count the column.

Column = 

IF(
      SUMX('Table',
           FIND(
                'Table'[Product],
                Sheet2[Product]
               )
          ) > 0,
      CALCULATE(COUNT(Sheet2[Country])
            ,ALLEXCEPT(Sheet2,Sheet2[Product]
     )))

V-lianl-msft_0-1611024702990.pngV-lianl-msft_1-1611024710309.png

Sample .pbix

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

pprasad2
Helper I
Helper I

The one I used did not work. It errored out. so I am not sure the way I was doing right or not. I just need a mechanism/logic to do count count in main table for only those records that are have a same value in my exception table.

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

HI @pprasad2 ,

Can you elaborate more please? Is your DAX (which is specified in your query) giving you some error? Or there is some other issue you are facing?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.