Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Missred
Regular Visitor

DAX and table structure/relationships advice

Hi

I'm building a portfolio reporting tool which monitors financial spend on projects. Part of my data model includes the three tables shown and described below:

Project details - master data of project details i.e. ID, name, finance system codes. Each row represents a single project.

Summary - high level finance data for each project split by FY and funding source.

Budget - budget for each project split by FY and funding source.

Current active relationships:

Summary to Project details based on Project ID (Single, Many-to-1)

Budget to Project details based on Project ID (Single, Many-to-1)

Model.png

I want to create a column in the summary table which calculates the project's budget variance = Budget - (Actual+Forecast). Actual+Forecast is in the summary table, but Budget is in the budget table. [NOTE: you will see columns called variance already in the summary table but these are based on an approval value not the budget value). 

I tried creating various measures and columns, but I think because the relationship both tables have to project details is only based on project ID the numbers are incorrect i.e. I don't just need the project's total budget, I need the budget for each specific FY and funding source.  

I also tried creating a unique budget ID in the summary and budget tables as a string concatenation of project ID + funding source + FY and then creating a relationship between the two tables, but Power BI wouldn't allow the relationship to be active as it would create ambiguity.

Am I able to achieve what I need with DAX formulas? Or am I forced to need to restructure the project details table?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!

Rachel

1 REPLY 1
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Missred

It seems you may use USERELATIONSHIP Function.You may refer to below articles.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/userelationship-in-calculated-columns/

http://radacad.com/userelationship-or-role-playing-dimension-dealing-with-inactive-relationships-in-...

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.