Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HillUser1
Frequent Visitor

DAX Help: How to iterate a calculation over a single dataset based on a time period.

I am struggling to understand how I could perofrm this calculation within PowerBI/DAX.

Calculation: Create a weighted rating system to help our company rank customers. Our team has come up with a set of criteras to rate each cusotmer by. They have created a rating system to be based a time period of (1) year. If the customer has been with us for greater then (1) year then they want the calculation to be performed for each year then averaged.

Capture.PNG

Issue: I do not undestand how to perform the calculation when each customer does not exist for the same time period. How can I loop over a single table of customer table and dynmaically perform the calculcation and filter a single data set to perform the calculation. In my head it would require a For Each or While Statement, but so far in my DAX experince I have not seen a function like this.

Any help pointing me to other examples or a response saying this is outside DAX's fucntionaly would be helpfull. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HillUser1
Frequent Visitor

+ Update:

I will perform the required math outside of PowerBI (WinForm/VB.net) and write the calcuated values to a database.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HillUser1
Frequent Visitor

+ Update:

I will perform the required math outside of PowerBI (WinForm/VB.net) and write the calcuated values to a database.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@HillUser1 ,Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

I can not post a sample dataset becuase I dont know all the senstive fields and this PBIX combines multiple tables together. I created a sample table showing the calculation, but the issue is that sum for all the years or manually requires me to filter the table with a slicer.

Data Tables:

Invoice Table (All invoices to sum total revenue)

Work Order Table (All Quotes, Counts,

Customer Table (Customer Name, ID, Address, Date Entered)

HillUser1_0-1610983522845.png

Sample Concept Table for Calculation

HillUser1_1-1610985588611.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.