Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX: Count visit frequency per client id and period (DimDate Slicer)

Hi all,

After 1.5 Days of trial and error and no solution I post it here...

I have a table as "log" file with client id, log time and occasion (only occasion = "sitevisit", rest irrelevant) similar like this sample data:

client id    time  occasion
12021.01.01  sitevisit
22021.01.01  hq_input
32021.01.02  sitevisit
12021.01.01  sitevisit
42021.01.02  supervision
22021.01.03  sitevisit
32021.01.05  sitevisit

I want to calculate two things, both need to be dynamic through a time slicer (DimDate) and are for a matrix or table visual.

1.) How many times has a client id logged in during a certain time period? (DimDate Slicer)

Solution:

client id    nVisits
1  2
2  2
3  2
4  1

2.) How many clients log in 1x, 2x, 3x, n, ... in a certain time period? (same slicer as nr. 1 and nVisits should be dynamic if there would be more than 2, 3, n visits )

Solution:

nVisits    (how many) clients 
1    3
2    1

Would be great if you could also share your thoughts on the formulas, because I m kinda new to Dax and want to understand the whole prozess.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

I created a sample pbix file(see attachment) for you base on the provided data, please check whether that is what you want.

1. Create a measure to get the number of times each user visited the site base on the date slicer selections

nVisits = 
VAR _tab =
    SUMMARIZE (
        FILTER ( 'log', 'log'[occasion] = "sitevisit" ),
        'log'[client_id],
        "numberofvisitsite", CALCULATE ( COUNT ( 'log'[client_id] ) )
    )
RETURN
    SUMX ( _tab, [numberofvisitsite] )

2. Create a visit times dimension table and a measure as below to get the count of clients for different visit site times just as suggestd by @amitchandak 

Visit times = GENERATESERIES ( 1, 100, 1 )
Measure = 
COUNTX (
    FILTER (
        VALUES ( 'log'[client_id] ),
        SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Visit times'[Visit times] ) = [nVisits]
    ),
    [client_id]
)
Count of client base on visit times = SUMX ( VALUES ( 'Visit times'[Visit times] ), [Measure] )

yingyinr_0-1631176122904.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , You need to create bucketing/binning on visit measure

Create a new table

bucket = generateseries(1,20,1)

new measure = countx(filter(values(Table[Client]), [nVisit] = max(buckte[Value]), [Client])

refer this

Dynamic Segmentation Bucketing Binning
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Dynamic-Segmentation-Bucketing-Binning/m-p/1387187#M626

Dynamic Segmentation, Bucketing or Binning: https://youtu.be/CuczXPj0N-k

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak , thx for the input! But how do I calculate the nVisits per client id (Nr.1)? I thought something like this:

nVisits = COUNTX("log", FILTER("log", "log"[occasion] = "sitevisit" && "log"[client_id] && "DimDate"))

Hi @Anonymous ,

I created a sample pbix file(see attachment) for you base on the provided data, please check whether that is what you want.

1. Create a measure to get the number of times each user visited the site base on the date slicer selections

nVisits = 
VAR _tab =
    SUMMARIZE (
        FILTER ( 'log', 'log'[occasion] = "sitevisit" ),
        'log'[client_id],
        "numberofvisitsite", CALCULATE ( COUNT ( 'log'[client_id] ) )
    )
RETURN
    SUMX ( _tab, [numberofvisitsite] )

2. Create a visit times dimension table and a measure as below to get the count of clients for different visit site times just as suggestd by @amitchandak 

Visit times = GENERATESERIES ( 1, 100, 1 )
Measure = 
COUNTX (
    FILTER (
        VALUES ( 'log'[client_id] ),
        SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Visit times'[Visit times] ) = [nVisits]
    ),
    [client_id]
)
Count of client base on visit times = SUMX ( VALUES ( 'Visit times'[Visit times] ), [Measure] )

yingyinr_0-1631176122904.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.