Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

imranamikhan
Helper V
Helper V

Cumulative total of a measure

Hi everyone,

I am struggling to identify a solution to a common problem resolved in the forums. Out of ignorance I have blindly attempted multiple suggestions but I have not been successful.

I have 2 measures. 

1.  The below measure returns whatever the selected value is from a slicer

Selected Project = SELECTEDVALUE('Programme Financials Unpivot'[Project No.], BLANK())

2. The below measure sums a column by multiple conditions.  The measure above is also used as part of a condition.

Total = CALCULATE(

SUM('Programme Financials Unpivot'[Value]),

FILTER(

'Programme Financials Unpivot',

'Programme Financials Unpivot'[Attribute] = MIN(Period_Table[Attribute]) && 'Programme Financials Unpivot'[Period Snapshot] = 12 && 'Programme Financials Unpivot'[Project No.] = [Selected Project]

)

)

I now want to create a cumulative/running total of the Total measure. 

Could you anyone please advise? The solutions I use often return the same result as the Total measure.

example.PNG

regards,

Amik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
imranamikhan
Helper V
Helper V

Resolved. I removed the custom table and created an index in the source table ("Programme Financials Unpivot"), then followed the suggestions below

https://www.daxpatterns.com/cumulative-total/

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
imranamikhan
Helper V
Helper V

Resolved. I removed the custom table and created an index in the source table ("Programme Financials Unpivot"), then followed the suggestions below

https://www.daxpatterns.com/cumulative-total/

imranamikhan
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @themistoklis thanks for the suggestion.

I do not want to apply a cumulative/running total measure using the "Programme Financials Unpivot" table as the source. I am actually trying to apply this measure to the Total measure in the table I displayed above.

This table is a custom table. The values returned by the Total measure are derived from "Programme Financials Unpivot" table using a number of conditions.

Do you know if this a way to apply a running total/cumulative to this table?

best regards,

Amik

Hi everyone - any ideas on this one?

themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

@imranamikhan 

Can you try the following:

Running Total =
CALCULATE ( [Total] ,
ALL ( 'Programme Financials Unpivot' ),
'Programme Financials Unpivot'[Index] <= EARLIER ( 'Programme Financials Unpivot'[Index] )
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.