Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

StillLearningMe
Frequent Visitor

Cross-Highlighting across different rows

I have a table that shows candidate journeys in a job interview process:

idcandIDattemptenquiry dateenquiry job prefinterview dateinterview job prefassessment dateassessment job prefjoin datejoin prefwithdrawal datewithdrawal pref
110011/01/2020no preference1/02/2020chef    2/02/2020chef
21002    10/05/2020baker  11/05/2020baker
31003    1/06/2020teacher1/07/2020teacher  
410111/02/2020chef20/02/2020chef28/02/2020chef  29/02/2020chef
51012    15/03/2020driver17/03/2020driver  
610213/03/2020no preference      5/03/2020no preference

id 1 shows they made an enquiry with no job preference but then they attended an interview where they decided on a job preference. then they decided to withdraw.

id 2 shows the same candidate changing their mind and their job preference and going into an assessment for that job. they then failed the assessment and were thus withdrawn again. 

id 3 shows the same candidate trying for another job and making it through.

they don't need to enquire again, nor do an interview if they were successful at those stages. however if they want to try for a different job they need to do an assessment for that job. 

I want to create 5 bar graphs showing the interaction between different job preferences. Unfortunately it ends up looking like this:
Screenshot 2022-04-29 134205.png

Here I clicked on "no preference" in the "candID by enquiry job pref" visual.
I understand this is a row context thing but I just can't figure out how to get 1 row to interact with another row based on a unique key, like their candidate id (candID).

What I want is for "no preference" in the enquiry stage to result in "baker" and "teacher" in assessment stage increasing by 1. Join pref should increase by 1 for "teacher" and withdrawal should end up with 1 for "baker".

I don't want to fill in the blanks with the dates and preferences from the previous stages because that ends up in duplicates. Eg:
Screenshot 2022-04-29 140210.png

How do I make this happen like in the second screenshot but not showing the duplicates? Thank you 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @StillLearningMe,

It sounds like you want to click on the detail records and extract the parent key to interact with other visuals, right? 

If that is the case, I think the basic filter effect should not be suitable for this requirement. Power bi will use current row content instead of specific field keys to interact with other visuals. (column1=a, column2=b,etc...)

For this scenario, I think you need to create a calculated table that copies from the fact table and does not has relationships to other tables.
Then you can write measure expression to extract the selections and compare with target tables records return tag and apply on 'visual level filter' to enable filter effects.

Deep dive into measure filters in Power BI Desktop - SQLBI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @StillLearningMe,

It sounds like you want to click on the detail records and extract the parent key to interact with other visuals, right? 

If that is the case, I think the basic filter effect should not be suitable for this requirement. Power bi will use current row content instead of specific field keys to interact with other visuals. (column1=a, column2=b,etc...)

For this scenario, I think you need to create a calculated table that copies from the fact table and does not has relationships to other tables.
Then you can write measure expression to extract the selections and compare with target tables records return tag and apply on 'visual level filter' to enable filter effects.

Deep dive into measure filters in Power BI Desktop - SQLBI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

thanks, you got me thinking about parent and foreign keys. i've now go the right key pairs in my tables and the correct data model setup and it's working great.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.