Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mreynaud
Frequent Visitor

Credential issues in Power BI connecting to SharePoint based excel spreadsheet

Hello,

I've tried connecting to SharePoint as a data source from a SharePoint folder and also from the web as highlighted from the video tutorial here 

Whenever I try to connect a datasource from SharePoint I receive this notfication: 

mreynaud_0-1668557681556.png

I've tried all sorts of things to try and bypass this. I found a solution at a certain point but then after I reloaded the data on another day, it got disconnected and I began receivng this notification again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mreynaud
Frequent Visitor

If anyone is struggling with this same issue, I ended up figuring out a solution from within Power BI desktop:

1. Going to File > Options and settings > Options.

2. Under the GLOBAL menu, going to Security, and scrolling down to Authentication Brower and check the box for Use my default web browser.

Then I refreshed my data and was able to connect SharePoint as a data source.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mreynaud
Frequent Visitor

If anyone is struggling with this same issue, I ended up figuring out a solution from within Power BI desktop:

1. Going to File > Options and settings > Options.

2. Under the GLOBAL menu, going to Security, and scrolling down to Authentication Brower and check the box for Use my default web browser.

Then I refreshed my data and was able to connect SharePoint as a data source.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mreynaud , Hope you already tried?

Clear permission in data source setting

Hello @amitchandak ,

Thanks for reaching out!

I am unable to connect the data source to Power BI, so there are no data source files to clear permissions. Would I clear permissions from SharePoint?

mreynaud_1-1668626373480.png

Here is some additional background info, if it is helpful...

So I am trying to access a dataset from shared SharePoint folder were I was granted permission to edit. I'm not sure if I need special permissions to connect to Power BI, or how to access that option, if it exists.

To test this I created my own SharePoint page, folder, and then a test excel spread sheet. On this page I am the "owner" but when I attempted to connect the test excel spreadsheet to Power BI I received the same "We're unable to connect. Please delete your credentials and try again later" notification. Am I missing something?

mreynaud_0-1668626001335.png

Hello again @amitchandak ,

A quick follow-up,

There was another case I had last week and was experiencing the same issues. I was able to connect a data source from SharePoint to Power BI. It was refreshing the data and I had no problems. However, the next day, everything changed. I was unable to refresh the data an ran into the same error, "We're unable to connect. Please delete your credentials and try again later"

I just revisited this case to try and clear the permissions in the data source setting, nothing seems to happen:

mreynaud_0-1668629112368.png

And when I try to specify my credentials I receive this notification:

mreynaud_1-1668629198603.png

Any help at all would be much appreciated!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.