Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

dstanisljevic
Helper I
Helper I

Creating hierarchy tree from data

Hello, need help in figuring out how to manipulate data that is returned to me where the parent column may have both the top level and a sub level. So if the data looks like this:

ParentName

A
2B
3C

Trying to transform it to look like:

ParentSubName
41A
52B
63C

Any suggestions? I'm this is probably a basic topic but wasn't able to find anything on it. Also, there are scenarios where the subs may be nested as well before it gets to the top level (10>9>7>D). Need to be able to account for that as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @dstanisljevic ,

I created a sample pbix file(see attachment), please check whether that is what you want.

1. Added an auxiliary table to get column values without parent elements (4, 5, 6)

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUXJUitWJVjICspzALGMgyxnMMgGyDMEsUyDLCMwyA7KMlWJjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Parent = _t, Name = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Parent", type text}, {"Name", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each if List.Contains(#"Changed Type"[Name], [Parent]) then null else [Parent]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Parent", "Name"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Columns", each ([Custom] <> null)),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{{"Custom", "Name"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

yingyinr_0-1624862673674.png

2. Append this table to the original table

yingyinr_1-1624863010049.png

3. Create some calculated columns to get the path and pathlength by using Parent and Child functions

Path = PATH('Table'[Name],'Table'[Parent])
Pathlen = PATHLENGTH('Table'[Path])

4. Create calculated columns to get the parent, sub and name values

nParent =
VAR _len =
    MAX ( 'Table'[Pathlen] )
RETURN
    IF ( 'Table'[Pathlen] = _len, PATHITEM ( 'Table'[Path], 1 ), BLANK () )
Sub = 
VAR _len =
    MAX ( 'Table'[Pathlen] )
RETURN
    IF ( 'Table'[Pathlen] = _len, PATHITEM ( 'Table'[Path], 2 ))
nName = 
VAR _len =
    MAX ( 'Table'[Pathlen] )
RETURN
    IF ( 'Table'[Pathlen] = _len, PATHITEM ( 'Table'[Path], 3 ))

yingyinr_2-1624863339895.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dstanisljevic
Helper I
Helper I

Should also add that not all values in the 'Parent' column exist in the 'Name' column.

Hi @dstanisljevic ,

I created a sample pbix file(see attachment), please check whether that is what you want.

1. Added an auxiliary table to get column values without parent elements (4, 5, 6)

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUXJUitWJVjICspzALGMgyxnMMgGyDMEsUyDLCMwyA7KMlWJjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Parent = _t, Name = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Parent", type text}, {"Name", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each if List.Contains(#"Changed Type"[Name], [Parent]) then null else [Parent]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Parent", "Name"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Columns", each ([Custom] <> null)),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{{"Custom", "Name"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

yingyinr_0-1624862673674.png

2. Append this table to the original table

yingyinr_1-1624863010049.png

3. Create some calculated columns to get the path and pathlength by using Parent and Child functions

Path = PATH('Table'[Name],'Table'[Parent])
Pathlen = PATHLENGTH('Table'[Path])

4. Create calculated columns to get the parent, sub and name values

nParent =
VAR _len =
    MAX ( 'Table'[Pathlen] )
RETURN
    IF ( 'Table'[Pathlen] = _len, PATHITEM ( 'Table'[Path], 1 ), BLANK () )
Sub = 
VAR _len =
    MAX ( 'Table'[Pathlen] )
RETURN
    IF ( 'Table'[Pathlen] = _len, PATHITEM ( 'Table'[Path], 2 ))
nName = 
VAR _len =
    MAX ( 'Table'[Pathlen] )
RETURN
    IF ( 'Table'[Pathlen] = _len, PATHITEM ( 'Table'[Path], 3 ))

yingyinr_2-1624863339895.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.