Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Created report on PBI Desktop....cannot publish it on Report Server

Hello all,

I created a report on the PBI Desktop Dec 20, then opened it and edited it on the PBI Desktop (optimised for Report Server) Oct 20. I get an error message every time I open it on PBI Desktop (optimised for Report Server), saying:

"Unable to open document...the queries were authored with a newer version of Power BI Desktop and might not work with your version....please install the latest version to avoid errors when refreshing"

I proceed regardless. The report opens, and I'm able to refresh the data and edit the report without any issues.

Now, my problem is that I'm not able to publish the report to our PBI Report Server. I tried it directly from the report, and also from the webpage of the Report Server.

Is there a simple way to recreate the report again on the PBI Desktop (optimised for Report Server), so I can then publish it on our Report Server?

Looking forward to your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Geradav
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@Anonymous I guess the simplest way will be to copy the M code and paste it to a new Power BI Report optimized for Report Server.

Same for all DAX measures and reconstructing the data model.

Good luck!

David

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Geradav
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@Anonymous I guess the simplest way will be to copy the M code and paste it to a new Power BI Report optimized for Report Server.

Same for all DAX measures and reconstructing the data model.

Good luck!

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @amitchandak.

The report is complex with lots of mergers and measures, and it would be a pain to have to recreate it all again. 

I hope someone else will come up with a solution.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , I doubt an option for that. If these are visuals. You can try copy paste from one pbix(dec-2020) to another(Oct-2020)  .

You have to use power bi optimized for report server in this case.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.