Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Toll
Helper I
Helper I

Create relationship to a list column

Hello, 

I have a column called "CapabilitiesId" in a dataset that is pulled from a Sharepoint list.

The "CapabilitiesId" column is defined in Sharepoint by a tickbox, using a lookup to another list, and allows multiple selections.

Therefore, in the Power BI Power Query Editor, the column is showing as a list, such as below:

UniqueIDTitleCapabilitiesId
1AAAList
2BBBList

I have the ability to "Expand to New Rows", but I then get an error as it will duplicate the UniqueID column and there are relationships that don't allow duplicates.

If I was to click the List, there could be rows with only one value but some rows have multiple values:

Toll_0-1660572529531.png

My problem is I am trying to create a relationship to the Capabilities table that contains references to "CapabilitiesId", as such:

CapabilitiesIdCapability
1CAP001
2CAP002
3CAP003

I am looking for suggestions on how I could achieve this?

My thoughts are:

• Extract values and split into multiple columns
    • The issue with this is, currently, the maximum selected is 2, but this could be 3 or more in future so would need to accomodate
  • Extract values and have values separated, but in one column
    • Unsure if this method would actually allow relationships though?

With either of the methods I am not sure how I would implement them. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The correct way is to pull the capabilities object from Sharepoint , creating a separate table that you can then join into your data model as appropriate.

Hello,

I already have a capabilities table (as above), I am trying to create a relationship to it using the CapabilitiesId from the "main" table but the IDs are in a list.

This is one of these rare cases where a M:M relationship is required. Try to make it single direction.

Should I extract the values into multiple columns or rows? because they are in a list it won't create the relationship I don't think

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.