Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create "Dimension" Tables Based on Column Value and not Column Header - Need Help

Hi all,

I am new with Power BI and have been trying to solve this for hours but cannot find any answer to my question. I have the below database see screenshot and when I load it into Power Bi, I get the below table in the "data pane" of Power Bi. Instead of having the column header as item to tick/untick when creating a chart, I would like to get the actual column value. 

In other terms, Instead of having Indicators to tick and then I need to filter for EBITDA into my chart, I would like to be able to directly tick/untick "EBITDA" so that it gets included into my chart. By doing so, I would also be able to create e.g. a running total measure based uniquely on EBITDA and not based on "Indicators" which would also in this case include "Costs". 

Is there a way to get tables such as the screenshot below? --> Instead of having Indicators, Scenario Label, ... etc I would get a table (1) with each specific indicators underneath it (table 1, EBITDA, Costs, ...) see screenshot.

This is an example but my database is in reality very big with >50 Indicators and >200k rows

Thanks a LOT if you can help with this

Power Bi.PNG

PS: in my title, I called these table "Dimensions Tables" but I am not 100% this is how it is actually called, sorry for that I am new in the business 😉

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi and thanks a lot for the quick answer :)! 

I used the first methodology you suggested --> referenced, remove duplicate and loaded the query. It created the table "Indicators". Up to there, all good. BUT I get the following problems now:

1) the relationship created when I drag and drop the "Indicators" item from my Dimension table to my Fact table is identified as many to many (see screenshot) which I am not so sure is ok

2) I still do not have my "dropdown" indicators in the right pane "data" - also see screenshot. Only "Indicators" appears in the newly reference table created instead of "EBITDA", "Costs", "...".

Any idea on how to showcase each indicator in the right pane? So to be clear, Instead of having "Indicators", I would like to have "EBITDA", "Costs", "..." in the newly created table created using Reference function

Thanks a lot again for this, I really appreciate your help 🙂

Power Bi 2.PNG

Many-to-many is definitely not right. Create a measure like

Num rows = COUNTROWS( 'TableQuery' )

and then create a couple of table visuals including the measure, one with the column from the new indicators table and one with the column from the fact table. See if that can give you any insights into why the relationship would be many-to-many.

On your second point, the values from the column won't show up in the right hand pane, but if you create a slicer from the indicators column then they will show up in there.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again,

Thanks a lot - indeed I get different number of rows when applying the code you provided aboe which I do not really understand why but I will investigate. Maybe one last question, still using the same database, how would you create a measure to compute the running (or cumulative sum) total of "EBITDA" for the years shown in my table

e.g. looking at the first screenshot I sent, how to create a measure to calculate the cumulative sum of the selected Indicator "EBITDA" for the selected Scenario Label "Poor Economy" see screenshot below. This means, if I change EBITDA for Costs and Poor Economy for Good Economy in my table/chart, the cumulative sum of the newly selected items will be calculated

Thanks a lot for all again 🙂

Power Bi 3.PNG

Create a measure like

Running Total =
VAR ReferenceDate =
    MAX ( 'TableQuery'[Year] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'TableQuery'[Value] ), 'TableQuery'[Year] <= ReferenceDate )

and then use that in a table or matrix visual with columns from your new dimension tables.

johnt75
Super User
Super User

You are correct, they are called dimension tables 😀.

There are a couple of ways of doing it, either in Power Query or in DAX.

In Power Query you can create multiple copies of your fact table by right-clicking on the query and choosing Reference. You'll want one copy for each dimension table you want to create. Select a column in the copy and then choose Remove Other Columns and then Remove Duplicate Rows. Load the data into Power BI and then create one-to-many relationships from each dimension table to the fact table.

In DAX you could create new tables as DISTINCT('Table'[Column]), again one table per dimension. Link the tables to the fact table as above.

Its probably worth trying both methods, publishing to the service and comparing refresh times. That should let you choose which method works best in your circumstances.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.