Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thomsog1
Frequent Visitor

Count If with 2 criteria in DAX

Hi All,

I'm trying to do a count if based on two columns. The logic is that I want to find out if an ID Tag already existed in a previous month, or if its new this month.

In excel it would look like as follows...

thomsog1_0-1645035861761.png

In powerquery I managed to get it working (albeit to avoid circular references I needed to create it as a new table), but I'm curious how I would go about acheiving this in DAX? I tried both COUNTROWS() and LOOKUPVALUE() based on other forum questions and neither worked.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Power BI has no concept of "Before" and "After" .  You need to provide an index column, or indicate which combination of columns can be used for that purpose

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("ZdC7DYBADATRXhyfdIztbtAFfPqvASQCgkk3eNLsvgdHjCAnM7ck1nin09Pl6daUttJW2kpbZatsla2y1bbaVttqW99f+C+cjbNxNs7G2TgbB+EgHPRP6wE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"ID Tag" = _t, Period = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID Tag", type text}, {"Period", type date}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Status", each if 
Table.RowCount(Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type",(k)=> k[ID Tag]=[ID Tag] and k[Period]<[Period]))>0
 then "Existing" else "New")
in
    #"Added Custom"

How to use this code: Create a new Blank Query. Click on "Advanced Editor". Replace the code in the window with the code provided here. Click "Done".

Or in DAX :

Status DAX = 
var p=[Period]
return if(CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Table'),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[ID Tag]),'Table'[Period]<p)>0,"Existing","New")

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
thomsog1
Frequent Visitor

Ah brilliant thanks, I'll test this out.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Power BI has no concept of "Before" and "After" .  You need to provide an index column, or indicate which combination of columns can be used for that purpose

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("ZdC7DYBADATRXhyfdIztbtAFfPqvASQCgkk3eNLsvgdHjCAnM7ck1nin09Pl6daUttJW2kpbZatsla2y1bbaVttqW99f+C+cjbNxNs7G2TgbB+EgHPRP6wE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"ID Tag" = _t, Period = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID Tag", type text}, {"Period", type date}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Status", each if 
Table.RowCount(Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type",(k)=> k[ID Tag]=[ID Tag] and k[Period]<[Period]))>0
 then "Existing" else "New")
in
    #"Added Custom"

How to use this code: Create a new Blank Query. Click on "Advanced Editor". Replace the code in the window with the code provided here. Click "Done".

Or in DAX :

Status DAX = 
var p=[Period]
return if(CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Table'),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[ID Tag]),'Table'[Period]<p)>0,"Existing","New")

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.