Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

monty74
Regular Visitor

Count Choices (optionset) field

Hello

I am new to powerBI and so go easy on me 😉 I am sure this would have been asked before so if someone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a choices field on a dynamics 365 case (incident) form. The user creating the case can select multiple options from this choice (optionset) field. I want to create a report that gives me totals on each option that have been assigned to cases.

The choices field stores all the selected options in one column seperated by a comma.  I have created a table with each choice label, its ID and option name and linked it back to the cases table.

Where I am stuck is what to do with the cases Choice field to be able to count the total options selected for period.  Do I need to seperate each case option out into its own field, assign a number (like 1) to it to then be able to count all the numbers in the field/column?  Or could I just use a filter to count the options within the one field dynamically in the PowerBI report?

I hope this makes sense, many thanks in advance for any suggestions you are able to offer.

1 REPLY 1
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@monty74 , better to split the column using split by delimiters in power query into rows

https://www.tutorialgateway.org/how-to-split-columns-in-power-bi/

or

Power BI- Text Part slicer to filter/search text - https://youtu.be/MKKWeOqFG4c

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.