Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

trevb
Resolver I
Resolver I

Cortana & Q&A on a dataset missing

When I first started using PowerBI there was a free text query on the dashboards.  It was interesting but not primary for me.  Today I decided to try it again, but it was missing.  I soon figured out that it could be turned on for the dashboard but when I did so I was told that none of my datasets were suitable.

I went into PowerBI settings looking for the datasets and the one I wanted to use is completely missing the Cortana and Q&A option.  It stops after scheduled refresh, so no chance to turn on there.

I don't believe this is anything to do with not having a gateway as all of my sources are coming from Project Online so it is all in cloud accessible data.  There are no Access, SQL, Excel data sheets anywhere just one database from Project online and a bunch of queries to reformat the data therein to make it useful for me.

I'm now stumped, can anyone tell me why I am not able to activate this anylonger?

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
trevb
Resolver I
Resolver I

And now I answer my own question for future people referencing this.

At some point a while ago I had noticed the role level security and had a play.  It had not done what I wanted so I ceased to use it but I did not remove the row level security group defined.

Currently Cortana and Q&A are not compatible with Role level security and thus they were disabled.  Deleting the roles from Power BI desktop and republishing made the options available again  🙂  All sorted

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

This isn't working for me and I have no Roles setup on my dataset. Anyone have any other ideas?

trevb
Resolver I
Resolver I

And now I answer my own question for future people referencing this.

At some point a while ago I had noticed the role level security and had a play.  It had not done what I wanted so I ceased to use it but I did not remove the row level security group defined.

Currently Cortana and Q&A are not compatible with Role level security and thus they were disabled.  Deleting the roles from Power BI desktop and republishing made the options available again  🙂  All sorted

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

Do you know if this is still an issues? I am struggling to get the Q&A options to appear while RLS is enabled on my dataset 😞 .

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.