Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

gougou007
Regular Visitor

Connection error (No such host is known) to a postgreSQL database hosted on AWS using PowerBI Dektop

Hi all,

I cannot connect to the "PostgreSQL" database of a client hosted on AWS from PowerBI Desktop. I have in my possession the connection information (database name, username, password and port) that he provided me but when I use them an error message appears: " No such host is known.

According to the customer the connection information are good. Can anyone explain the error message and its cause to me? and how to correct it? Thanks in advance.

Here is a screenshot of the message (the picture is in french)

Error messageError message

2 REPLIES 2
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gougou007 ,

Before doing so, can you check if this machine can access the postgreSQL instance?
How do you connect to an AWS-hosted postgreSQL database?
Try the method provided by edwardrmiles and see if this solves the problem.
Solved: Re: Connecting to PostgresSQL hosted on AWS RDS? - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum -- China Power BI User Group

- Your 1st question : can you check if this machine can access the postgreSQL instance?

My answer : How can I check that ? I don't understand well your question.

- Yours 2nd question : How do you connect to an AWS-hosted postgreSQL database?

My answer : I'm using powerBI desktop (below some screenshots)

1- after opening powerBI

1.png

2- information I entered

2.png

When i did it the error message appeared.

- I followed the instructions in the link but the error reappeared. I don't know if I installed NpgSQL correctly. Do you have another method to install it?  (I used Visual Studio with packet managerconsole) here is a screenshot.

Capture d'écran 2024-02-21 113044.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.